Thread: Tikka .300 WSM Review

Default Tikka .300 WSM Review

Well I finally got out to the range yesterday and I am whopped! The wife came with to shoot her new Glock 19, she has never shot a pistol before, all I can say is, LEAVE HER ALONE NOW! Wow, she shot it very well and really likes it a lot. We shot 350rds with the G21 and G19 and had a blast! Next it's off to see what the Tikka can do.

Tikka T3 lite in the .300 Winchester Short Mag:

All I can say is WOW, my shoulder is burger today!..... That thing slap/kicks like a mule! I shot 30rnds through it and it was all my shoulder could take, last 2 shots were off the target, flinched badddd .. I did find one thing that I don't like about it, was very disappointing but I can live with it.

Problem: With the bolt open, you load the clip and try to rack the first round in, it jams. Only carries the shell half way in and binds. Anyone else notice or have this problem?

Cure: With the bolt closed, load the clip and try to rack a round, it loads it perfectly. I tried this several times and it happened every time.

Other then that, and the "MULE KICK" I love it. Trigger is very crisp and light (to me) and it shoots out of the box very well. Here's a few pics.

First pic I finally got the scope tuned in better(still needs a little tweaking, shoulder couldn't take it any more), 100yrds. Second pic I finally settled down and put the shoulder pain aside, torn hole at 100yds. Third pic is at 300yrds and I am in a lot of pain. I will head back in a week or so to get it Fine tuned.

Over all it was a great day at the range with the wife and the new toy's.

Shooting Federal Premium 180gr. Barnes triple shock bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and the 300 yarder......
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have not yet, put a sims limbsaver recoil pad on it. They make one that fits just right for the T3. You can find them on brownells web site.
    It was one of the first things I did with mine.

+1 on the limbsaver pad, it made a big difference on mine.

Nice groups there AKDSLDOG, especially the 300 yd group with a sore shoulder.

I'm going to try a slip on recoil pad on my 300 WSM when I break it in and work up loads. I tried the slip on pad on my single shot goose gun which kicked a whole lot harder than my 7mm mag and it calmed it way down. I could shoot all day with the slip on.

Would be real interested in hearing more results with your 300 WSM.

Good shootin.

Thanks all for the replies! I can see by the targets that anything will become freezer food but, I would like to tighten it up a bit. I do believe it had a lot to do with "shoulder burger "... My old .300 wetherby was 12lbs, this .300 is half the weight! I think a little more range time and it will fit right in .

I have noticed (prior rifles as well) that I am always 1-2 inches to the right, I do believe this is either shooting form or flinching, I intend to correct this! You can see it in the pictures.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM as well and yesterday was it's initial baptism at the range. I had the same results that you did with the Federal 180gr. TSX. I consistently shot sub 1 inch groups off the bench at 100 yards. I think I can shrink that even more once I get on the reloading bench and work up a good handload. I agree the light rifle does produce significant recoil, even with the LimbSaver recoil pad installed. This may be a good candidate for a muzzle break, even though I hate the muzzle blast the produce. After 25 rounds my shoulder was a little tender. At that point I put it back in the case and got out the pistols.
    I didn't have any problems at all cycling a round into the chamber. Maybe I just got lucky.

+2 on the Limbsaver. I got it to increase the length of pull a bit and was amazed by the amount of recoul it took out. Nice groups, and they'll get better with the Limbsaver.

Thanks for the replies, I will get a limbsaver ASAP! If I poke my finger into my shoulder it's still a little sore, lol...... Can't wait to get back and finish tuning it in!

Default Limbsaver + quality rifle rest

I have a Tikka in 300 WSM. Like others, I put on a Limbsaver pad. For shooting off the bench, I use a rifle rest. Don't recall the name (I'm at work and the rest is at home). Has the built in small bag up front, strap for the butt, multiple adjustments. Soaks up much of the recoil. Can shoot for a long time. Only thing that stops me is ammo price nowadays.