Thread: Whittier Report

Default Whittier Report

We put in at Whittier around noon yesterday. Weather was great, water very flat. There is still alot of snow, saw no bears or tracks. Did some fishing and shrimping. Caught 75 shrimp and a few rockfish. Looked hard for bears but I would wait. They have just not come out yet.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How far out did you go?

Troy

we went 30-40 miles.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the update. How was the dock and the parking area?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default This weekend

Both boat launches were open this weekend. The parkinig lot across the tracks was open and enough of it was plowed that there were enough spaces available.

We were in one of the Forest Service cabins for the weekend. Friday and Saturday were dead calm and perfect. Sunday morning the weather started getting a little messy. By the time we got back to the launch, I was ready to get off the water.

There was way too much snow for any bear to be out where we were. But between my boat and the other boat in my party, we took a total of 9 gallons of shrimp tails over the weekend. Yup, good weekend.

Default PWS in 4 days...

I'll be headed to Whittier the end of this week for some shrimpin, fishing and what seems to be a lot of glassing for blackies. Everyone is always waiting to hear the PWS blackie forecast. Just looking at the web cams, there's a ton of snow. So, with snow shoes in hand (along with a few sets of rain gear) who knows what will turn up. I'll probably get a bad headache from my sub-standard optics (I can thank my buddy from Wyoming for that) He grabbed mine (Meoptas) thinking they were his, silly fool! By the time he sends them back, it will be AFTER this trip. Hopefully I can see afterwards...

Anywho, when I get back, I'll post a report and maybe a few pics, hopefully one will include a nice blackie!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default whittier saturday

what a beautiful day - still a ton of snow around, in some areas. We did see one blackie, saturday evening about 9:00 - wasnt up very far but the timing was poor. He was on a east facing slope - and not up very far - munching on some vegetation. we did get about 160 shrimp too!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    we went 30-40 miles.
    Guess you should of went 50 or 60 miles We went out thursday came back in friday on the kicker ( bad coil in the 150) Had the part waiting for us and on our way back out in 30 min. Saw two bears as soon as we got back out ( 5 min apart) both bears were on the shore. We got the second bear went about 5'8". not huge but a full body bear. I'll see about getting a story and pics up.