Thread: Sealing furs & hides

Default Sealing furs & hides

Do think furs & hides should be brought in to ADFG to be sealed if no biological data is taken from the animal or if the hunter/trapper can collect the bio data himself? (something simple like hair samples) Or do you believe a simple report card would give the biologist the harvest information they need?

I've always felt sealing was a wast of time when the sealing agent didn't do anything I couldn't do myself. They trust us to with report cards with moose why not beaver or marten?
    Chuck

3 of the species requiring sealing (wolf, otter, and lynx) are on the Cities list. So the State seal is also a cities tag, which allows international shipment. I suspect the harvest data, I mean the number harvested, also provides info for cities purposes.
    The other 3 species that require sealing (depending on where you live) are beaver, marten, and wolverine. Sealing of beaver anywhere in this state is a complete waste of time and money. The sealing requirement is left over from the days when beaver were actually overharvested. That is no longer the case and there is no real benefit to bio's or to management needs to track beaver numbers.
    Marten are only sealed in SE and again, I think the rule is left over from times when marten were much more actively sought. I think the case could be made that sealing marten anywhere in this state is also a waste of time. Marten number are mostly secure and human harvest is only one of the many factors that effect marten numbers. I seriously doubt that humans are endangering marten numbers anywhere in this state.
    Wolverine are a popular species lately. F&G I'm sure, thinks they need the harvest info from sealing, tho I doubt they do anymore with that info than just file it away. ( Or in the case of Rick Sinnott..........use it to bolster his personal anti trapping attitude).

I definately see your point hiline. Give everyone purchasing a trappers license a harvest report and make them legally required to submit it at the end of the season. Tho that doesn't account for the animals taken by hunters. I doubt we could convince F&G or the BoG that we don't need, or F&G doesn't need, all this info.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Doesn't the info the fur buyers take get back to ADFG? I mean, you have to write down the GMU and how many of each species you are selling.

Chuck, I suppose you know you can become a fur sealer if you are in a remote location...at least I know some guys in the villages that have done that.

Chuck, I suppose you know you can become a fur sealer if you are in a remote location...at least I know some guys in the villages that have done that.
    They told me I could be a sealing agent but I wasn't allowed to seal my own furs. I tried that one several years ago.

Also anyone who does their own tanning and sews fur products still must seal their furs.
    Chuck

The form a furbuyer fills out (I'm a furbuyer, BTW) does provide GMU info. But not every animal harvested that requires sealing gets sold to a furbuyer in Alaska. Furbuyer receipts are only part of the harvest info.
    Hiline, I am also a fur sealer and no one in this region has said I cannot seal the furs I harvest. Someone is giving you a line of bull, I think.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'll have to check it out again.
    Chuck

Default Mike...thanks

Mike, thanks for all the info. And yeah, all the guys I know who seal furs also seal their own.