Thread: Bear Hunt

Default Bear Hunt

So I'm gonna be in Alaska for another month or so and really want to go get me a nice blackie before I leave. Can anyone point me in the right direction on good spots to go get me a bear? I am in Anchorage, getting a bear is just something I've wanted to do before leaving Alaska. Thanks for the help.

Drive down to Homer and hire our very own homerdave of Ashore Water Taxi to take you across Kachemak Bay. Hike up into the hills and find a bear. It'll take some effort, but for high success rates, that's the way I'd go. I would recommend waiting 1-2 weeks before giving it a shot.

That's another thing I forgot to mention. I am not wanting to go on a guided hunt, It's just gonna be me and a buddy. But thanks for that anyway.

Dave's not a guide - he's just got a water taxi service that will put you in prime bear country with limited competition. You would be hunting on your own, but starting from a far better spot than the side of the road.

Default Texas Hunter

Brian is giving you some excelent advice.You can hunt the Road system or Hunt alot of trails but going across the Bay you would have an excelent time.And see a Great spot of Alaska

Default Solid advice

You have just been given a gem.
    Logistics are VERY, VERY crucial when hunting in AK.
    His advice has all the components that lead to success: Remote Habitat and transportation.

All you need to do is provide the blood, sweat, and tears.

You'll also need to budget for the road and water travel expenses. It's never "cheap" to hunt here.

If your a non-res plan on the $225 tag expense too. Taxidermy??????

Just trying to help.

How's the terrain in that area? Pretty rough walking? Could a guy be successful hunting down low, rather than climbing a lot? Thanks.

You might drive up to the valley and go out Zero lake area. Just remember stay out late at night, go slow and keep your eyes open. Look for the food sources. Its hard to spot and stalk bears but it might be your best option.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up blackies across the bay

just picked up two guys today that had been across since thursday. they got one nice bear, saw another 7 or 8, put stalks on a couple, dug some clams and had a good 'ol time.
    bears were all still up high, they didn't see any on the tide flats yet, but that should start happening in the next week or ten days i would bet.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Unhappy Hunters Ed

Well after looking at the regs for hunters ed, I realized I cannot go down to Homer to hunt because Unit 15 is one of the units needing hunters ed. The Units that require myself to have hunters ed are 7, 13, 14, 15 and 20. So with that in mind, does anyone know where I can go get a blackie outside of those units? I would just go to hunters ed but they are booked until mid July and I'm leaving here in about a month or so. Thanks for the advice given, I really would have strongly considered going to Homer, looked like a great idea.

so did i talk to you this morning?
    too bad it won't work out. hope you find something that you can pull off!
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Hunters Ed.

You don't have a card from Texas? AK recognises other states programs. Plus don't forget the $85 hunting license. Take a transporter out of Whittier into Unit 6D is another option.

Nope, I don't have a card from Texas. I am an Alaska resident and am not looking for a guided hunt, it's just gonna be me and a buddy. Dave, yea that was me who called you this morning, it's unfortunate that it didn't work out. Again thanks for the help.

Do you have a hunter education card from Texas? That's what he is asking. That will work in Alaska.

OK, for some reason my pdf reader isn't working tonight (I guess I need to update to the newest version of Firefox and Adobe), so I can't look at the regs online. Why do you need a hunters ed card for hunting over there? Is it age related or because it's part of a state park?

The reg states that if you are older than 16 years of age and born after Jan 1st 1986, than you must have completed hunters ed for units 7, 13, 14, 15 and 20. If you are younger than 16 you must have completed hunters ed or be under direct supervision of a licensed hunter 16 years old or older who has completed hunters ed or with someone born after Jan 1 1986. I am 20 yo, so I fall into the category of needing hunters ed since I was born after Jan 1 1986. The reg for hunters ed can be found on page 14 of the reg book.

Default Go it...

Quote Originally Posted by texas_hunter20 View Post
    The reg states that if you are older than 16 years of age and born after Jan 1st 1986, than you must have completed hunters ed for units 7, 13, 14, 15 and 20. If you are younger than 16 you must have completed hunters ed or be under direct supervision of a licensed hunter 16 years old or older who has completed hunters ed or with someone born after Jan 1 1986. I am 20 yo, so I fall into the category of needing hunters ed since I was born after Jan 1 1986. The reg for hunters ed can be found on page 14 of the reg book.
    That post helped...I was thinking the same thing..that you were old enough to not need one.

The only unit that is close is 6. You could rent a boat in whittier or hite a transporter. Otherwise you are SOL.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/