Thread: Lake Creek Float

Default Lake Creek Float

Hey guys, first I want to thank you for a great forum. I have pulled a lot of very helpful information from here and appreciate everyone's advice.

I will be flying out of Anchorage August 20 for a 6 day float down Lake Creek. This will be my third trip down the river. I have also floated the Tal twice. I have been watching the river levels (for Lake Creek) and have seen that they have drastically jumped over the last few days.

Can anyone tell me if the river has "blown out". Is the water relatively clear or is it more like chocolate milk due to the sedimentation from the rain?

If the river is still in bad shape, what advice would you offer?

Do you think I should I still plan to float Lake Creek or should I switch to the Tal? My preference is to float Lake Creek, the Tal has been too shallow for me and I have not enjoyed pulling my rafts through the shallow portions of the upper Tal. Even if the river is slightly off color, I would think that Silvers could be caught in a lot of Lake Creek’s tributaries. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I would really appreciate anyone’s advice or for any updated river conditions. Thanks for your help!

Just floated Lake Creek 3 weeks ago. Water was super high (one guide I met said it was the worst he'd seen it). Rained every one of the 7 days I was on the river. The class IV rapids approached class V when the watter opened up routes previously un-boatable.
    It was the best trip ever. Fishing stayed consistent-- though we were only fishing for rainbows. Silvers were starting to show throughout the creek, esp. the lower section. Bears were intense- esp. at Yenlo... Water was murky but still relatively clear when compared with the Mat-Su waters.
    My advice- pack rain gear, a large caliber gun, hit up Lake Creek, and take me with you!

Also, you might call the Lake Creek Lodge and question them on conditions. Numbers on their website.

Default Trout Strategy

AKUnited, thanks for the great advice. I have been on the river before, but always with lower water levels. It is good to hear that there are still fish to be caught with higher water levels.

What strategy did you use to fish for trout with the high water? The last few years I have used egg patterns or streamers. We would spot salmon spawning and target the trout behind them. With the water being high and murky I am not sure if we will be able to see them. Did you do anything different?

Thanks again for your help!

Smile floods

I just got a report that the watershed got lots of rain and that a weir at the outlet of Chelatna lake washed out. You might want to check the situation out as it sounds like near flood conditions. Not sure who to check with but maybe Cook Inlet Aquaculture - 283-5761- they have a crew up at the lake running the weir. They talk to them everyday so you may be able to get a quick update.

Just below flood stage, as of this morning:

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...ew=1,1,1,1,1,1

Quote Originally Posted by trout8myfly
    AKUnited, thanks for the great advice. I have been on the river before, but always with lower water levels. It is good to hear that there are still fish to be caught with higher water levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by trout8myfly

What strategy did you use to fish for trout with the high water? The last few years I have used egg patterns or streamers. We would spot salmon spawning and target the trout behind them. With the water being high and murky I am not sure if we will be able to see them. Did you do anything different?

Thanks again for your help!

We were not able to sight fish the trout using salmon. We did stick to the basic's - egg patterns and streamers. I found that large white flesh patterns with weighted heads worked best, a close second were large green/brown sculpin patterns that I had never tried before. (Didn't have to many but fish loved them!) Definitely go with weighted flies as the water is deeper.
    Strategy wise:
    While drifting - we would hunt the back of the numerous rocks as we floated by. Its pretty wild- you struggle to get them off the hook so as to hit the next good eddy. Hooked up on 6 out of every 10 holes I would guess.
    On land- same thing with the rocks, and of course hitting the mouth of all the tributaries. The water was normally pretty clear from the tributaries and we would just dead float our flies into the adjoining water.
    At Yenlo- hike down past the main campground to the front of the island and hit up the large rock groups, follow it all the way to the end, repeat -- you'll wear your arm out.

Good luck!

Default Final Advice

Guys, thanks for your help. Does anyone have any last minute advice about floating Lake Creek right now? The river is above flood stage at 3.5 feet. Can we still catch fish in the flooded river? Should we change rivers and float the Tal instead? I have a lot of rafting experience and am mainly concerend about catching fish. However, I do not want to be in fear for my life the whole trip so if the river is very challenging at this stage I may choose the Tal. I have not floated the river with it this high, so any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thats my home area, but I havn't been there for a couple weeks. But from reports I get from there I would expect both Lake Creek and the Tal are BLOWN OUT. I am more familar with the Tal, as my place is at Shell Lake, but it will be along time (4-5 days) after rain stops to settle out. I see rain is forecast through the weekend. I have been hearing it has really been raining out there, huge. I am up in the arctic in the sun, and rivers are low and dropping.

Smile Lake Creek

Just talked with CIAA and they said they have had over 20 inches of rain in the last few days. The creek is out and still coming up. Does not sound like a good choice to me.

I believe there was a flood warning issued today.