Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So when is Turkey season in AK?

Default So when is Turkey season in AK?

Was down on the KP today glassing for blackies, came around a corner and there she was in all her glory, a mature eastern hen turkey right in the middle of the road.

I did get a very bad pic when she went into the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i've seen them by the bridge in cooper landing before as well, i think it was four or five at once though....i could be all wrong but aren't they feral game birds? open year round??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There was a recent thread on this subject in the small game hunting forum, it's still near the top. My wife saw a group of them (about 6, I think she said) just south of cooper landing three weekends ago. She had to stop and let them cross the highway in front of her. I found a good pic on the internet and asked her if she was sure that is what they were. She was sure they were.

Angry

I think they should be feral birds I live in Wisconsin and I can't stand them I wish they would kill them all!! Don't let them tell you they don't mess up the deer hunting either cause they do maybe not up by you guys but here they do!!

probably not gonna mess up the deer hunting around cooper landing to bad....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    probably not gonna mess up the deer hunting around cooper landing to bad....

BRWNBR
    I think you are wrong about that !!! They have already ran all the Deer out ,have not seen a one in years !!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bowbearman View Post
    I think they should be feral birds I live in Wisconsin and I can't stand them I wish they would kill them all!! Don't let them tell you they don't mess up the deer hunting either cause they do maybe not up by you guys but here they do!!
    Sounds like you have been busted buy some birds on a fall hunt? Been there done that, cursed the turkeys till spring, then the tables turned.

There is nothing quite like turkey hunting in the spring, gotta love the sound of that loud gobble just as the sun starts to rise.

Time to dust off the vest, chalk up the box, scratch up the slate, and screw in the extra tight choke tube.

Oh yes I have but I also think they affect the deer also the turkeys come thought and its like you took a rake through the woods every acorn is gone and they make so much noise and comotion I honestly think it affects the deer hunting I know in the property that I own when the turkeys move in the deer activity slows down and pushes them to move later and later honestly I don't even hunt turkeys I should just to thin them out but alot of my friend have a blast hunting them!! Although you talk to the farmers and most of them want them ALL killed also!! Just my Opinion!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowbearman View Post
    Oh yes I have but I also think they affect the deer also the turkeys come thought and its like you took a rake through the woods every acorn is gone and they make so much noise and comotion I honestly think it affects the deer hunting I know in the property that I own when the turkeys move in the deer activity slows down and pushes them to move later and later honestly I don't even hunt turkeys I should just to thin them out but alot of my friend have a blast hunting them!! Although you talk to the farmers and most of them want them ALL killed also!! Just my Opinion!!
    I think the farmers probably have a much bigger gripe than you as they are rough on some crops...too many turkeys...darn the luck

I miss huntin those buggers, sounds like you have a new kind of hunting to get into, go for it, you will be hooked.

Default Turkey

I saw a hen and about 6 little ones around sterling crossing the road last year. Thought it was kind of cool.

Terry

Ya your right it would give me something to do in the spring since I can't hunt bears like you guys I'm jelious!!

Aaron

Default Remf

That picture should be in the sasquatch thread. I think it proves the turkey AND sasquatch exist in AK. See him in the top left? Right near the turkey?
    lol

Default REMF Where At?

REMF where on the KP did you see that turkey? I was down in Ninilchik this weekend and saw one cross a side road down there...

Turkey season- Year round no limit.

It was very cool when I saw a group of them on the russian river
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up It will be

When I see one of those cluckers this weekend while I am playing down there and pop one. MMMMMMM fresh bird gotta love it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Just be wary of the one area near south Skilak loop road that is posted "No Turkey Hunting".

(it's the yard of the guy who is raising and "releasing" them)

I find it interesting that no one has a problem with this guy setting turkeys loose in the area, yet what would happen if a guy dumped a bucket full of Pike into the Kenai? What happens if these turkeys establish themselves? How's it going to affect our native species to include grouse and hare? From people reportedly seeing them all winter long and now talking about seeing hens with chicks in the wild, and all many miles away from the original release area, it's starting to sound like a wild turkey population is all but on it's way.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    That picture should be in the sasquatch thread. I think it proves the turkey AND sasquatch exist in AK. See him in the top left? Right near the turkey?
    lol
    I can see sasquatch, i just didn’t want to mention it, sure glad I'm not the only one
    I told you it was a bad picture, it was kinda funny the turkey was on my daughter's side of the truck and she was still asleep after the 4am departure and ride down from anchor town. That was actually the second picture she took as the first one she missed it all together

Default I'm with you

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Just be wary of the one area near south Skilak loop road that is posted "No Turkey Hunting".

(it's the yard of the guy who is raising and "releasing" them)

I find it interesting that no one has a problem with this guy setting turkeys loose in the area, yet what would happen if a guy dumped a bucket full of Pike into the Kenai? What happens if these turkeys establish themselves? How's it going to affect our native species to include grouse and hare? From people reportedly seeing them all winter long and now talking about seeing hens with chicks in the wild, and all many miles away from the original release area, it's starting to sound like a wild turkey population is all but on it's way.

I live 300 miles away and I have a problem with it...why do people try to change and manage everything so you can have it all in your backyard. Alaska already has enough stuff added to it's species list...and we have 49 examples of what can happen when you start introducing species be they fowl, aquatic, or hooved, and it's not always a good thing. Are moose, caribou, sheep, black and brown bear, waterfowl and grouse not enough for folks...If you want turkeys, there are lots of em down south you can visit with a 12 gauge. In the meantime, I'm hoping something is done about these before too long. Then again, I don't know what the predator population is like around there, but if the lynx, wolves and fox realize how tasty they are...they may take care of it for us. Coyotes nail quite a few from what I saw years ago...but I bet they pay a price, turkeys are tough.

Talking Gonna try to do my part

I have the 44 with me for this weekend and I have the 22 with the scope for the wife. I have seen them birds down there and every time I have not had my gun or bow. When I do have the guns or bow, well you know how it goes. June and I are going down to chase some bows and stuff on the lakes but Im gonna do my best to take the gobbler population down a couple of knotchs. Im just dying to get one and post the pic. Of course if I do im sure the turkey huggers will be all mad at me. Then again Ill just smile a big smile as i snarf down a drumstick.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast