Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news, Bad news.

Default Good news, Bad news.

Good news: I finally caught an amount that is not embarrassing.
    Bad news: One of my brand new "Mondo" pots was either lost at sea or stolen. $200 down the drain. Blah.
    Attached Images Attached Images

at least you stated "lost at sea" first

most people assume that thier pots are stolen, those are same people that misplace thier wallet and think that it got stolen too

its probably lost, a boat clipped your rope, or a seal played with your bouy, or it simply shifted with the tide and floated off.....probably something, anything other than a pot stealer

Here we go again on the stolen vs lost theories on pots Most of you know where i stand on the subject

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well, you know what they say, something good comes from all bad! Think about this, for $200 you can buy 3/5th's of a string of Potbuilders pots or 10/5ths of that other stuff. Either way it wont be long and you will forget about "Mondo".Mike

Lightbulb Yep

Yep whenever the doors on 6-8 different peoples pots are opened on the same day and they are all moved, I figure a ripp tide did it. ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

So, I've never heard of a mondo brand pot, anyone have a website address? Size? Weight?

I don't think that is the brand, just the model. It is an expandable on that is about 3'x3' on the nottom and 2'x2' on the top. I wish I had known about PotBuilder before I got them. I am ordering two from him right now. I placed two pots within 100yds of each other and one dissapeared. I'm going out there in the next few days during low tide. I am hoping the line just knotted up on itself. I had a good bit of weight on the pot so I'm thinking that it being carried was a bit slim. I'm new though, so who knows.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I don't think that is the brand, just the model. It is an expandable on that is about 3'x3' on the nottom and 2'x2' on the top. I wish I had known about PotBuilder before I got them. I am ordering two from him right now. I placed two pots within 100yds of each other and one dissapeared. I'm going out there in the next few days during low tide. I am hoping the line just knotted up on itself. I had a good bit of weight on the pot so I'm thinking that it being carried was a bit slim. I'm new though, so who knows.

Okay chauvotsm....
    You gonna hook a brother in blue up and give the skinny? I'm about to resort to the tried and proven method of..pull pin, throw and count to five. Tried all around Tee/Amalga with negres.Did you strike it rich out at Barlow?

Quote Originally Posted by IB1Gator View Post
    Okay chauvotsm....
    You gonna hook a brother in blue up and give the skinny? I'm about to resort to the tried and proven method of..pull pin, throw and count to five. Tried all around Tee/Amalga with negres.Did you strike it rich out at Barlow?
    Where do you work at? I don't know if I would call it striking rich. What you see is after an almost three day soak. Couldn't get out there sooner to pick it up. Not sure if I could have done a one day soak with the same results. I still have one pot out there (besides the one MIA) that I need to pick up in a day or two. Hopefully I will have some good luck. I can tell you this. After pulling my pot up from 250ft by hand, I ordered a Brutus Pot Puller that night.

Default Crap

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    So, I've never heard of a mondo brand pot, anyone have a website address? Size? Weight?
    Go to palmer and get the best.....potbuilder Pots!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Go to palmer and get the best.....potbuilder Pots!
    Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Yep whenever the doors on 6-8 different peoples pots are opened on the same day and they are all moved, I figure a ripp tide did it. ;D
    Dave,
    Does anyone put zip ties on the doors? that way you'd know for sure that they were opened. Whoever is picking all that gear must be real fast or invisible while doing it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Yes

Yes I have at times. But usually run out or forget. It used tobe that if you pot was picked they would leave a six-pack of beer, or a pint. Now they don't even re-bait the pots or lay them out. Just dump them in a pile. Sometimes, a couple of peoples at a time.

Default My pots

Not sure what happened. Almost certain they were pulled and robbed and put back to similar depth. Gonna figure out a way to rig so I can tell if they have been opened or not. Just is not cool. I hade 202 on first pull, 124 on second pull and then on saturday's soak, about 10 hour soak and only 5 pots. No signs of octupus being in the pots either, usually we catch them in there with the empty heads anyways. Bait was left alone in the containers.
    Nobody shrimps in my area. Only seen one other boat last year and that was it. So I am gonna keep close eye and see if anybody else shows up. Not sure if they might have been prospecting by pulling my pots or just can't afford pots and wanted shrimp. Either way I will figure it out. Just gotta hang closer to the pots. Atleast the shrimp pots and gear was not stolen.

AK,
    Get yourself some of those tiny zip ties and put them on the doors, at least you'll know if they have been opened. A few of those lazer sharp treble hooks on the buoyline might also deter a hand puller from messing with your gear, might even screwup a pot puller guy because with most of those toy pullers you have to pull the rope thru the sheaves(plates) so they would get bit by the hooks also. How about a baggie full of driveway sealer(tar) on the buoyline ?? bag would bust and spray the tar on the side of the boat when it came thru the block & might just mark the theif's boat. If i had all these problems i'd get dropped off on the beach with a spotting scope and really see what was or wasn't happening.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Yes but

Potbuilder I agree in a sense that I would love to be able to get back at some of the pot and shrimp thief's.

But Fish and Game every once in a while will pull pots to see if they are legal and or if people can count. Yes! Some people can not count to five and stop.

I think we need to be careful here so as to not hurt any law enforcement officers.

I was thinking a small plastic bag of my dogs finest about 100 feet down. But that might hurt my relationship with our local officer as he knows me and my pots well.

A spotting scope, camera and such surveillance from shore sounds like a better idea.

I say stolen period.

This community is overrun with pot thieves.

Booby trapping the line would be funny.... or dummy drops.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default If I had the time or am close to see by chance

I will have either my glock 20 or ruger 375 in hand. I would love to sit in the trees up off the rocks and see who is doing it or done it. A warning shot would be priceless. I seen some boats in the area and was suspicious of them. Didn't see any shrimp gear on their boats and gave me some dirty looks in the harbor. I could have just got skunked, but highly doubt it and we dropped at a negative tide and bouys were closer to shore than we left them. I have a few ideas brewing and just hope it doesn't have to come to that.

Potbuilder I like your thinking. But like Daveinthebush, wouldn't want to hurt F&G or anyone on my boat if we forget about the boobie traps and look like boobies our selves. This is the first time this has happened I think.

Im sure there could be alot of money made with an anti tamper pot..... Just imagine a huge glob of blue dye over the perp and their boat....

Perhaphs design it to work on a hidden button system or some kind of boobytrap only known to the owner??

I see buisness potential

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Potbuilder I agree in a sense that I would love to be able to get back at some of the pot and shrimp thief's.

But Fish and Game every once in a while will pull pots to see if they are legal and or if people can count. Yes! Some people can not count to five and stop.

I think we need to be careful here so as to not hurt any law enforcement officers.

I was thinking a small plastic bag of my dogs finest about 100 feet down. But that might hurt my relationship with our local officer as he knows me and my pots well.

A spotting scope, camera and such surveillance from shore sounds like a better idea.
    Dave,
    Go tell the fish cops what you are planning and i'd bet they would leave your gear alone. I'd bet they have(or should have) a list of names of the gear they have checked lately. Maybe if enough folks complain to them about the problem they would camp out with the spotting scope to try and catch the theif/ives ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast