Thread: Savage 99 range results!

Default Savage 99 range results!

I got a chance to shoot the savage 99 today. It did better than I expected. I shot it 6 times at 100 yards, shot three adjusted scope and 3 more. It was consistantly shooting two together and a 3rd off about an inch. I don't think that so bad considering the very heavy trigger pull. I think I'll see if there is anything Stan Jackson can do to lighten up that trigger. Overall I think I have a winner. I was shooting federal classic 180gr SP. They shot pretty good out of my Rem 788 too.

Looks like you got a winner. But before we all get TOO envious..........I'd like to know what you payed for the gun.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default right on!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I got a chance to shoot the savage 99 today. It did better than I expected. I shot it 6 times at 100 yards, shot three adjusted scope and 3 more. It was consistantly shooting two together and a 3rd off about an inch. I don't think that so bad considering the very heavy trigger pull. I think I'll see if there is anything Stan Jackson can do to lighten up that trigger. Overall I think I have a winner. I was shooting federal classic 180gr SP. They shot pretty good out of my Rem 788 too.

That's good shooting for the first time benching a 99. There are a couple of tricks that I bet will help you tighten the groups even without the trigger. Obviously from the two together in each group, that rifle wants to shoot!

First, due to that narrow forend/receiver, it's real easy to cant the rifle slightly from one side to the other from one shot to the next. If you will use a "dogeared" forend rest, the kind with an ear sticking up on each side, but narrower than usual, it will help prevent canting.

Another thing that will help prevent canting is to use a rest that's high enough so you can cycle the action between shots without lifting the rifle off the rest between shots.

And finally, it's usually best to put the front rest right under the action rather than under the forend.

Rock steady is one thing, but keeping it from shifting around too much from one shot to the next is important too.

Try it! I think you will like the results.

Nice shooting. I always want one of those when I was a lot younger. Looks like I should start looking before I'm a too much older.

Default not suprised

My 99C will shoot along side most bolt guns, so I'm not at all supriced by what yours will do...

Brown Bear is right.. that rifle will shoot even better, although it looks like you are only gonna need one shot anyhow!

reuben...