Thread: POW Staney Creek Cabin

Default POW Staney Creek Cabin

Has anyone hunted spring black bear out of the Staney Creek Cabin on POW? If so any infomation would be great!!

Thanks
    Aaron

Ya, but ended up taking a bear down on the south side of the island in a clear cut off a logging road. It is a nice cabin though, and it's in a very pretty little area.

Did you see alot of bear around the cabin? Was there plenty of bear around? Any information would be great!! How is the hike to the cabin from the road?

We saw a few bears around that cabin, like two I think. The hike is a big gravel trail that is big enough to drive an atv down.

I will be at Stany cabin in 13 days, are you going this year? Will report when I get back.

DonV I am trying to plan a hunt for next spring so any info you have now or when you get back would be great!! Thanks Aaron

I would always be interested in information on Staney Creek. My wife and I are looking for a cabin with access to the salt so we can launch our inflatable and chase bears on the beaches. Is this a feasible idea?

Thanks ya'll for the info!

RW

I think it depends on how heavy your inflatable is. At low tide it a loooong way to the water.

Don V could explian that probably .... as I thnk he had a skiff rental there during his hunt.

I saw zero bear sign around the cabin, it was an easy hike to get to it, tough boat road at high tide, lots of shallows, nerve wracking, finding the channel was not to hard but still tough.

The guy staying after me crossed the river - at low tide you can, that is the key, he got a bear and it was the first night of his first bear hunt ever. I suspect if you cross the river or cover some ground it can be good. We had a boat and used staney as a base - so I did not hunt by it at all, I walked the river fishing a lot (no luck) but that is the limit of my efforts. IMO a boat is a better way to go.

Nice cabin and again I did not try to bear hunt from it, I tried to get away from where people were.

We left our boat and winter harbor and drove every time, hiked gear out since boat ride in was tough.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I saw zero bear sign around the cabin, it was an easy hike to get to it, tough boat road at high tide, lots of shallows, nerve wracking, finding the channel was not to hard but still tough.

The guy staying after me crossed the river - at low tide you can, that is the key, he got a bear and it was the first night of his first bear hunt ever. I suspect if you cross the river or cover some ground it can be good. We had a boat and used staney as a base - so I did not hunt by it at all, I walked the river fishing a lot (no luck) but that is the limit of my efforts. IMO a boat is a better way to go.

Nice cabin and again I did not try to bear hunt from it, I tried to get away from where people were.

We left our boat and winter harbor and drove every time, hiked gear out since boat ride in was tough.
    Where's the closest "good" bear hunting to the cabin? I'm fine with tent camping if it means I'll be in a better area, but if there's good hunting within reasonable driving distance of the cabin having the cabin to dry our gear would be nice.

RW

If you have a vehicle, you can drive down to winter harbor and launch your inflatable from there. Lots of good places on the island to hunt from an inflatable

I did some freshwater guiding in the fall on the Staney Cr and I was surprised how few bears I'd run into compared to other areas. With the road system being closed in Sept, you can expect increased pressure and fewer bears around the cabin sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If you have a vehicle, you can drive down to winter harbor and launch your inflatable from there. Lots of good places on the island to hunt from an inflatable

I did some freshwater guiding in the fall on the Staney Cr and I was surprised how few bears I'd run into compared to other areas. With the road system being closed in Sept, you can expect increased pressure and fewer bears around the cabin sites.
    Would you suggest running the boat south of Winter Harbor, then? Also, would it be worth trying to fish relatively close to shore? Bottom fish? Spring kings?

I'm really just trying to evaluate our options...and it looks like driving up is going to take too much travel time - nearly two days each way because of ferry schedules.

Thanks for the info fellas.

RW

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    With the road system being closed in Sept, you can expect increased pressure and fewer bears around the cabin sites.
    I'm wonder why there would be increased pressure around the cabins?

They have always been operating at max capacity and many hunters hunt around the cabin they are renting. They have always been rented.

Nothing has changed. Just you cannot drive a motor veh to hunt from the cabin. You now must hike or take a boat.

Because in the past guys could rent the cabins and they could drive to other areas on the island to hunt. The cabins were a place to sleep, and they were not restricted to hunting that particular area. Now they have to hunt by foot from the cabin. How many bears will be left in 12 mile or Staney after the Sept bear hunters get done gunning everything within foot distance of the cabins?

There were allot more hunters hunting Staney and 12 mile arm tidal flats than there will be now by a few Cabin bookers.

I just don't think 'everything' within foot distance will be gunned.

There are only X amount of hunters booking only a few cabins on the road system. No more than there have been in the past. The cabins have always been fully booked during the first part of September.

The kill has always dropped off fast about Sept 15th. It will still be the same.

And like I said it was common for the Cabin dwellers to hunt around the Cabins anyway. Those habituated Bear (use to fishermen all summer) were usually killed the first week in September anyway. What will be different?

Most USFS Cabins are plane or boat access anyway. Buisness as usuall.