Thread: Old .35 cal Bullets

Default Old .35 cal Bullets

I have a supply of 250gr. Speer Spire P.bullets made in the middle 1950's. Are these the same as today's Speer bullets? I also have some 275gr RN of unknown origin (not Barnes) from the same era and could use some help identifying these. I plan to load them in a .35 Whelen for elk or moose. Any help would be appreciated.

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by stickbow View Post
    I have a supply of 250gr. Speer Spire P.bullets made in the middle 1950's. Are these the same as today's Speer bullets? I also have some 275gr RN of unknown origin (not Barnes) from the same era and could use some help identifying these. I plan to load them in a .35 Whelen for elk or moose. Any help would be appreciated.
    As I recall, Speer used to make a 275 in 35 cal way back when, but my memory has been foggy more than once. Barnes from that era are pretty distinctive, as the jackets were made from copper tubing. Look for the hole in the base where the tubing was swaged closed.

If anything today's HotCore bullets put out by Speer retain weight even better, but that's not to say those from the 50's were poor performers, especially in the heavier versions. I'd use them with confidence.