Thread: Kodiak- Late May

Default Kodiak- Late May

Just found out I'm going to visit my grandparents on Kodiak and attend the crab fesetival over mem. day weekend, I'm sure this will be fun but I wana catch some Kodiak fish!

Will kings be running?
    Trouts?

Never been to Kodiak before- clueless, sorry.

-Thanks,

Nick

I'll be there that week as well so intetersted in hearing the replies.
    There may be some Reds moving up the Buskin river which is right by the airport.
    I think but don't know for certain that it will be a little early for much else but would happily stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Just found out I'm going to visit my grandparents on Kodiak and attend the crab fesetival over mem. day weekend, I'm sure this will be fun but I wana catch some Kodiak fish!

Will kings be running?
    Trouts?

Never been to Kodiak before- clueless, sorry.

-Thanks,

Nick

I've had decent luck on my birthday, May 21, on the Buskin, I think I'm 2 for 4 over the past 4 years. That was just fishing for a couple hours after work so if you give it a good effort you should be able to find something. Its a pretty late spring though and last weekend we were out trolling and the ocean temp was 37.5 degrees (took one nice king). I hear that is about 5 degrees colder than normal.
    Another option would be to try for kings in Monashka Bay. KRAA has been releasing smolt in Monashka creek the past 4 years and they are predicting this year should be the best return so far. I'm not sure if that will be to early for them or not but you can give the beaches around Monashka creek or Pillar Creek a try. The road down to Pillar creek is pretty bad so don't try it in a car, just park up top and walk down. Good Luck.

You should be able to find dollies in Buskin Lake.
    It will be hit or miss for reds. last year I caught my first two on 16th of May, I did not catch another one till June 3rd.

You're too early for kings and there aren't any runs in the road system streams anyway. If you want to catch a king that time of year, get on a charter boat. Not like stream fishing, of course, but you're likely to catch a variety of fish, including salmon and halibut. Some reds are usually in the Buskin by Crab Festival but they are hard to catch and you are likely to encounter quite a few other fishermen. Oh -- and bring your raingear!

mms

Default Kodiak kings; roadside

The road system will give up some kings if you know how to play it.

Drive to the end of Monashka Bay Road and park. Walk out to either White Sands Beach or the mouth of Monashka Creek during a low tide with a heavy spoon and let it sail.

Locals do this and pull them in around 20 to 25 pounds.

This area should start be active in about a couple of weeks.

I've never done it, but I got the scoop on it by talking with a local just today...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Just last year ADF&G stocked kings in two more rivers, the American and Olds. Should see some return next year.

Nick,
    Usually the reds are starting into the Buskin by Crab Fest. time.
    Hard to say this year, it's been a long winter, still some snow berms around, and the last of the lakes close to town just thawed out in the past few days. Been blowing and raining for the past week, so the rivers are running high. But there still will be some Dollys around, especially around the river mouths and some of the beaches. Given a break in the weather the stocked lakes around the road system should start to produce some rainbows anytime now. The trolling for kings in salt water was starting to pick-up before this last series of storms, and should continue to get better, as will the halibut fishing.
    All in all, while not the peak of the fishing season, you should still find plenty to keep you occupied.
    Tight lines,
    Jim

thank ya, does anyone that lives on kodiak know a family by the last name of chase?

Default dollies

so when do the dollies start migrating out of Buskin lake? I've read and heard a lot of different times.

You have heard a lot of different times because it is never the same each year.
    Most years that I have been here, the ice is usually off the lake by 21 APR, this year the lake is still have Iced over. Will the dollies be later this year, I assume so. I do not know if it is the daylight or water temps or a combo of the two that triggers their out-migration but if it has to do with water temps, they will be late this year.

find the humpy smolt and you will find the dollies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Dollies in Buskin

Fishwacker,
    Are you referring to R.C. Enterprises ?

Kodiakbound,
    Depending on ice conditions and water temp. have fished as early as mid-March in the lake at the inlets. Fish usally start dropping out of the lake into the main river around the first week in April, again depending on water temps. The larger fish move out first, with the peak of the migration about the end of April till the end of May. Fishing off stream mouths and beaches can be good by the first part of May most years.
    Sockeyes start showing up off the river mouth around the end of May, with a few moving in around June first and the run building from then.
    Basically starting about now till the end of Oct., the "rock" can have some tremendous fishing, both fresh and saltwater.

Lotsa luck guys and good travelin' to ya both,
    Jim
    P.S. As Ak P Monkey says, find the humpy and other fry, smolt and alevins, and you WILL find the dollies!

Naw chase is the last name of my grandparents- he used to run chase plumbing/breed german shepards and is now a painter

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak4361 View Post
    Fishwacker,
    Are you referring to R.C. Enterprises ?

Kodiakbound,
    Depending on ice conditions and water temp. have fished as early as mid-March in the lake at the inlets. Fish usally start dropping out of the lake into the main river around the first week in April, again depending on water temps. The larger fish move out first, with the peak of the migration about the end of April till the end of May. Fishing off stream mouths and beaches can be good by the first part of May most years.
    Sockeyes start showing up off the river mouth around the end of May, with a few moving in around June first and the run building from then.
    Basically starting about now till the end of Oct., the "rock" can have some tremendous fishing, both fresh and saltwater.

Lotsa luck guys and good travelin' to ya both,
    Jim
    P.S. As Ak P Monkey says, find the humpy and other fry, smolt and alevins, and you WILL find the dollies!
    Thanks for the info. I just moved here and am trying to figure out the timing on the dollies. Have tried the river just down from the lake and tried the lake just in from the river outlet, but no luck yet. Of course that was last Monday so things could have changed. Any advice on the Stocked lakes? I threw spinners in Lake Ambercrombie and had a couple of chasers but nothing there either. Thanks again for the info its much apreciated.

Kodiakbound,
    So you are in Kodiak now. I'm getting on the ferry tonight and heading to Homer for a few days of work. Be back on Sat. night.
    Try the area around the "beaver pond" on the Buskin, as well as downstream from the camp ground. Mission beach should have fish around ,as well as any of the creek/river mouths either side of town and Pasgshak if you want to go for a ride. For hardware, Luhr Jensen and Crocadile spoons, small countdown Rapala's in trout colors, also work good as smolt imitations. For fly gear, alevin patterns, bucktail streamers, and even egg patterns/beads as steelhead are spawning in the Buskin and the Dollies will be close by.
    Well, I gotta run, get packed and try to get a little sleep.
    I'll try and PM ya when I get back in town.

Jim

Kodiakbound,
    Check your messages.

Default Just did

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. Sent you a PM