Thread: Anyone taking their boat out this weekend?

Talking Anyone taking their boat out this weekend?

Just bought my first boat a week ago...1988 grumman with an late 80's 35 horse merc... thinking about rolling to willow creek to try for some bows. I will try and post some pics. Anyone else up for some parks highway action?

Default Getting the boat out

I have hired a bobcat to help extract the boat from the shop and it will be in the water very soon The first trip will be a shake down trip with some crab fishing thrown in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beerborne View Post
    Just bought my first boat a week ago...1988 grumman with an late 80's 35 horse merc... thinking about rolling to willow creek to try for some bows. I will try and post some pics. Anyone else up for some parks highway action?
    I think you might be a week late or three weeks early for Willow. Judging from the looks of the water, a lot of melt is happening right now. Especially late in the day. Little Su still looks pretty good and I imagine the Deshka would be OK, as the upper reaches have not began melting in earnest yet. Neighbor kid tried fishing Willow further up two days ago. Said it was too trashy and murky. Might do Ok though in the early morning hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I have hired a bobcat to help extract the boat from the shop and it will be in the water very soon The first trip will be a shake down trip with some crab fishing thrown in.

She's a tight squeeze!!!!

Default Nice shine

It looks like you shined her up this winter. What did you use? Looks good.

I got my boat wet after a few weekends at home. I bet no one can name this river.

Default So first trip in the boat not so good

Well if you were at willow yesterday you probably saw a old boat limping into shore. After much trial and error I belive my water pump is shot.....any other reason water wouldnt come out the pee hole? Blew through the acending tube from the lower got flow. but all that comes out is alittle steam...also any tricks for sticking that copper tube in the upper while connecting the lower...? Kinda newbie when it comess to boats.

Smile Boat out??

Taking the Boat Out?? The sound is still covered with 3 feet of ice! It will be 4 weeks befor we think about boats if we are lucky!

The guys are hitting the Shee fish through the ice right now. The average catch is between 5-10 fish and the size is huge at about 30+ pounds per fish. Fishing Shee Fish through the ice is a blast and when the Tom cod and herring are running (like now) it is hot! If you guys want to fish something totally different come on up and do some summer Shee-fishing up in the Paw of Selawik rivers. I outfit 3-4 groups each summer and there is nothing like a 40 pound Shee fish on a spinning reel.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I got my boat wet after a few weekends at home. I bet no one can name this river.

Sorta looks like Indian River, not too far up though.

Default Yukon?

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I'm betting you're from the Yukon Territory judging by your #s and the pine trees in the background...? Big boat for inland!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerborne View Post
    Well if you were at willow yesterday you probably saw a old boat limping into shore. After much trial and error I belive my water pump is shot.....any other reason water wouldnt come out the pee hole? Blew through the acending tube from the lower got flow. but all that comes out is alittle steam...also any tricks for sticking that copper tube in the upper while connecting the lower...? Kinda newbie when it comess to boats.
    Impellers get a "set" if they sit for very long. Usually just drop the lower unit or jet unit and pull the impeller out, set it on a table or something flat, if the blades don't form a round circle then it's time for a new impeller. Check the metal plates to be sure that they don't have excessive wear and replace if necessary. I take it that this is the 35 merc commented about in the earlier post. Make sure you put the shifter in fwd before putting the unit back on.

Oh, and the trick to getting the water tube in correctly, well, it is a trick but it's not rocket science either. Mostly just patience. If you have someone else there to help hold the unit as you're putting yours on it would help. Get the unit up close to going on the water tube and the shift shaft. Have the other person hold the unit while you check the tubes every 1/16" inch or so until you know they're inline properly. It's a pain in the --- but doable. After you do it a few times you'll get better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Sorta looks like Indian River, not too far up though.
    Heck, that could be any one of 10,000 rivers between S. Central and Fairbanks/Tok/Delta. But, judging by size of fir trees, gonna guess s. central - maybe around Little Su/Deshka?

10,000 rivers? Wow, I will never get to run them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

WG,
    Where is it? You started the guessing game, now fess up.

Whoops, sorry. I was trying to re-size the photo in photobucket and it was giving me grief so I deleted it and uploaded it again. Then it re-sized properly.

Welcome to Mystery River.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30964