Thread: Bear tracks near Fairbanks...

Default Bear tracks near Fairbanks...

I was out with my father in law looking for bears today, and we found these tracks. Didn't find the bear though, still fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are some nice sized tracks for an interior grizzly. Did you measure them? I usually say my thumb to pinky finger is 9 inches. It looked like the track might have been 7-8 inches? If so, thats an 8-9 foot bear. Hmm, a little predator call action anyone?

This is a vary large print, how large do you think this monster is. My boot is a 13 so it will fit over my waiters and the track was 19" long

Last edited by F/V Riverrat; 05-10-2008 at 07:00. Reason: to add one more pic

Default How big?

Default Big track!

Both of these pics wear taken in the summer of 2004 at the mouth of Bear creek. we were going to spend this day fishing from creek to creek, and taking pics. We had just got to shore, jumped out, me with my camera and Vince my friend with his fishing stuff. As I was getting out I grabbed the anchor to hold the boat, I started pulling it out that's when I said holly *#%@! look at this! Vince came over and we just stood there starring. I took the first pic with my Boot next to the track, then I asked Vince to put his hand in the back of the track.
    After Vince put his hand in this track he looked up at me with a blank pail white face, and said hay man this thing is huge I think we should leave. Hold on I said and I started following the tracks for about 100' tell they went into the tall alder brush not wanting to follow them farther. That's when it hit me, what ever made these tracks was only walking on its back legs! Bears will not walk that far on two legs! They will stand and take several steps but then go back down on all 4. the track was next to creek for about 75 feet. I assume looking for salmon but then went away from the creek still standing!

Default looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by F/V Riverrat View Post
    This is a vary large print, how large do you think this monster is. My boot is a 13 so it will fit over my waiters and the track was 19" long
    Our Alaskan version of Gigantopithecus....

Couldn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by F/V Riverrat View Post
    To be perfectly honest, it looks like some joker added toes to make the tracks larger. There's something about those two pictures that just doesn't look quite right.

Looks like the rear paw track is overlapping the front paw track to me.

Default Big Tracks

Well as I said I followed these tracks for a good hundred feet, all were the same size. The area we were in has one of the largest concentration's of brown bears in Alaska, so it would be possible to over print, as it has bin stated hear, and be for by others I have shown theses photos to. But not 30 to 40 tracks.
    this is a photo of location of tracks thanks to googel earth. Red dot marks the spot!

I'm no bear track expert, but when I saw them I had the same thought Matt did. It looks like the rear track is partially obscuring the front, so they run together into a single, oddly lumpy paw print.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Looks like the rear paw track is overlapping the front paw track to me.
    Oh that's probably it! Something looked funny, but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.

I figured they were black bear tracks because it looked like the claws were close to the toes, but I'm not positive. I thought they were big, or at least average... got me really excited.

Default here are some I found.....

about two weeks ago near fairbanks. Decent size for the area I was in.

Funny how such a big state can be so small. I've hunted 3 of the past 8 years within walking distance of the map posted here. I don't know about there being a bigfoot in the area, but 2 years ago near that spot, I took a photo of the biggest bear print I have ever seen. Same bear? Impossible to say.

Since I've seen more bears than I can count in that area and never seen one I would say was over nine-feet-squared, I wonder if there might just be a big bear there with really big feet. Sometimes a big foot only means there's a bear with big feet.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon
    Last edited by outdoorswithdon; 05-12-2008 at 13:12. Reason: typo

Hey Don ...your link to your web site doesn't work. I had to manually add a ".com" to it. Might want to fix your signature...

Brian

PS: If you watch a grizzly that is not in a hurry and walking slowly, it's entirely possible to get the back foot print overlapping the front foot print. Watch the feet on this old sow (taken in the same area as the map above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlYVdXxGuI&source=GE

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Originally Posted by F/V Riverrat
    To be perfectly honest, it looks like some joker added toes to make the tracks larger. There's something about those two pictures that just doesn't look quite right.
    Kinda' looks like a possible "double print", or the front/rear together.

But such prints are fairly rare, and if all the prints in the trackway were like that,...........................well.............. ......

As a sidenote, the boot next to this brownie print is a size 12, so the sole is about 13" long.

I've seen this guy's prints three different times now, and a friend caught a glimpse of him while glassing. I didn't have a tape to measure his front pad width, but I'd guess he's approaching 9' square.

Also, I just saw my first black bear of the year just 15 minutes ago. I saw him from the Glenn Hwy at Ship Creek on the upstream side.

Thanks for the catch, Brian. Neat footage.

I see your point about overlapping prints too. Kinda makes my larger point - prints are just a fun place to start, but never definitive proof of anything other than the fact that a bear was there. I need to see an 11-foot-bear in the flesh to believe one exists where I'm hunting. Not that I've ever seen an 11-foot-bear.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com