Thread: Shotgun alright to carry?

Default Shotgun alright to carry?

I am going to be doing a river trip in AK with my dad late in September. I won't be hunting but he will. I had planned to take my 4570 as a bear rifle. However, he said he has been told that you can't carry a rifle unless you get a hunting license. Does this include all long guns or just rifles? Can I get away with carrying a shotgun? Does anyone know what the fine is for carrying a rifle?

Thanks for any help

Cool HHmmmm!

I have never heard of this. I would call fish and game personally and ask them. Whats the difference between a rifle (45-70) and a shotgun, especially for bear protection. They are both up close nad personal.

Default 45-70 or shot gun

Take the 45-70 with a good 400 gr. load. If any thing happens to your dad's rifle or scope he can hunt with the 45-70.

Default legal carry

You can carry a legal fire arm be it rifle or handgun in Alaska. A hunting license only makes it legal to hunt.

Default Not Illegal...

There is nothing in AK state statues that prohibites you from carrying a firearm if you are not hunting and don't have a license, as long as you can legally carry a firearm (not a felon or anyting like that)...just don't shoot anything or back up your partner unless you are defending youself. If you are contacted by law enforcement just explain that you are not hunting but your partner is and that the exrtra firearm is for him or for bear protection and you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck and have a great hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by scothill
    I am going to be doing a river trip in AK with my dad late in September. I won't be hunting but he will. I had planned to take my 4570 as a bear rifle. However, he said he has been told that you can't carry a rifle unless you get a hunting license. Does this include all long guns or just rifles? Can I get away with carrying a shotgun? Does anyone know what the fine is for carrying a rifle?

Thanks for any help
    you can carry a shot gun as a back up for the licensed hunter. i strongly suggest you only use a pump gun that will handle 3" magnum shells, and dont bother with buck shot, use slugs only. bear spray works also if you have the nerve to wait for the bear to get close to use it.

Bring the shotgun and pick up a NR small game license as long as your dad doesn't mind the extra gunfire. The occasional grouse goes nice with a little tundra berry compote.

Have a good trip

I called F&G and got the following information. If they contact you in the woods during hunting season and you are carrying a long gun, rifle or shotgun, you are assumed to be hunting. Supposedly this is in the regulations. If you don't have a license then you are hunting without a license which is a 200 fine. So to carry a rifle you need to pay 85 for a license or you can pay 20 for a small game license and carry a shotgun. So I will be paying 20 and carrying a shotgun with a few slugs and plan on augmenting the pot based on how the hunt is going.

Default Contradiction

I think that your answer is a contradiction. ANY Alaskan who is in the field camping, hiking, prospecting, fishing ....., may carry a firearm for bear protection.

How can they (F&G) assume you are hunting if you have a gold pan, dredge and sluice box tied to your ATV? Or, you are out walking with 9 kids, the wife and family dog.

The statement does not make sense.

Dave,
    I am with you. Sounds like automatic assumption of guilt which I believe is illegal based on innocent until proven guilty, but hey what do I know. However, that is what I was told by a State Trooper when I called the Fairbanks Office of Fish and Game. Maybe the difference is that I am an outof stater but working at it from several different directions I kept getting the same information.

Default From them

From their web page:

Firearms in Alaska
    In Alaska, hunters may generally possess and use firearms with few restrictions. State law prohibits the following:

Fully automatic firearms
    Rifles with a barrel less than 16"
    Shotguns with a barrel less than 18", and
    Rifles or shotguns less than 26" in total length

Rifles, shotguns and handguns are legal for hunting in Alaska. Rimfire cartridges generally maybe used only for small game. See the Alaska Hunting Regulations for details.

While a person is actually engaged in lawful hunting, trapping, fishing or other lawful outdoor activities that "necessarily involves the carrying of a weapon for personal protection," handguns may be carried concealed.

Firearms carried in vehicles must either be in plain sight or, if concealed, out of reach of vehicle occupants. As a precautionary safety, firearms being transported to or from the field must always be unloaded.

State law prohibits shooting on, from or across a road. As a matter of safety and courtesy, hunters should discharge firearms well away from roads.

There are firearm restrictions in certain state and national park units. For current information about firearms in these areas, contact Alaska Public Lands Information Centers.

I don't see anything there that proves it or disproves it. The only specific thing I see regarding carry is what not to carry (what hunters can't use) and that you can carry a handgun concealed.

Default Not True!

Scott...

The AK Dept. of Fish and Game in AK does not enforce laws like in many other states. The actual enforcement of laws in AK falls under the Alaska State Troopers Divison of Wildlife Enforcement. If you want facts about game laws call troopers because they actually enforce the laws and take enforcement action against violations.

You CAN have in your possession a firearm for personal protection and not be hunting...like I stated in another post. If you are contacted in the field by an officer, who would be a state trooper most likely, just explain to them that you are not hunting and your situation. You do not need to buy a license. When you posted this thread orginally I called the AST office and asked one of the troopers just to make sure before I posted something wrong and they agreed with me. In fact I was given an exact example they had delt with regarding your question. Just approach the situation the right way and you will not have a problem I assure you.

Thumbs up gun rules.

this kinda intersting talk.

like most of us probably anyway, i carry a rifle almost any time im in the wilderness hunting or not. sometimes without a hunting licencse. Even if its not needed for protection. In my book it is a multi use must have survival tool in alaska. It serves as bear protection, as a food gatherer, and as a signaling device, also, gunpowder from shells can be used for firestarter.

If you were unlicensed during hunting season and you were carrying a frame pack, game bags, and a huge knife your probably asking for it. But as a ak resident I would have serious problem if accused of hunting just because i was packing. Heck,( I think) residents dont even need a permit for concealed carry.

Any here ever been harrassed for carrying without a license?

Although it seems it would be better get a license and bear tag just eliminate any controversy or hassle incase you gotta take a bear down. But that might be pretty spendy for a non res.

Talking

I should have clarified. I was referenced to a State Trooper by F&G. I was not sure if he was an actual state trooper (as in state police) or a law enforcement officer like a fish and game officer we have down here but attached to the state troopers, but I was told by F&G he was the person to talk to as he was the one in the field doing the enforcement; and he did identify himself as Trooper X (I should have written down his name and can't find where I wrote down his number). It sounds like we are getting conflicting information. I wonder if it is because I am not a resident. It was funny right after he told me that I would need a license and I verified that a shotgun would be alright with a small game license he started talking about how I should just get the general licences at 85 which wasn't that much and then why not just get a bear tag (black bear I think) because it was only a couple hundred or so more so that would only be 300 or so which is not that big a deal. I wondered at the time if he got commissions on licenses bought . Frankly I could see where it would be a bit sketchy with three guys walking around with rifles during hunting season with only one hunting.

I just called and talked to afterhours dispatch and was given the email address of a longtime officer to contact with the question. I just emailed her and with her permission will printer her response. I didn't mean to get folks upset but wanted to give people the information I was given as it was abit strange and seemed to contradict what you guys were telling me.