Thread: Alaska Sportsmans Organizations?

Default Alaska Sportsmans Organizations?

Is there an organization out there that has Resident sportsmans interest at top priority and does not cator to those who sell out our game?

Asking this question on this forum you will get all kinds of responses. Just beware that many here have hidden agendas and will make negative comments about organizations before getting to know what they are about. Just keep an open mind!

As you probably know there are many groups to choose from. Sheep, Turkey, Moose, Elk etcÖ Every group has proís and conís and it is your job to find one that works for you. Most are truly good organization and I support most of them. I do prefer groups that keep 100% of their money in Alaska.

I would make a master question list of those items that you want answered and start making phone calls. Make sure you are talking to those that are knowledgeable about the group mission/goals. You will not find a group that meets all your needs! If you are looking for this then you will have to start your own group.

Also in order to truly find out about an organization one needs to become involved, do more than just attending the fundraisers. Give it some time and if they arenít going the direction you like then move on to the next group.

Troy

I believe that The Alaska Outdoor Council is the largest outdoors organization in Alaska. But like tv321 has said, some folks make negative remarks about anything you can think of. I have been a member of the AOC for years now, and they have kept me informed in a lot of issues of importance to me.

Spring is here so there wont be quite as many negative remarks as there would have been a month ago!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Spring is here so there wont be quite as many negative remarks as there would have been a month ago!
    Well, that's true

Thanks guys, I'll have to do some more looking.

Yes, it is time to tip some bears over!

Default The AOC...

Would rather support an out of state guide than an rural subsistence hunting resident of Alaska...

Would rather support out of state commercial fishing interest before supporting rural subsistence gill netters...

They may as well change thier name to the COC, the Commerical Outdoor Council, "If you're in the business to make money on Alaska's big game, & commercial fishing we'll represent you in Congress!"

Check out Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers:

http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have been looking at this organization for a bit now. If you want more info on it, the two Co-Chairs are members of this site and post on occasion. "Bushrat" and "HomerDave." They'll be glad to give you more info.

Default Hit a meeting or two before you join

, thats the best way to see where the group is going and what its' true goals are. Watching the posts here will tell you where the individual members stand on some issues. Find one (or two) that suit your feelings and get involved with them on the issues.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos

Well, that's true
    Apparently not.................... :

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    The AOC

Would rather support an out of state guide than an rural subsistence hunting resident of Alaska...

Would rather support out of state commercial fishing interest before supporting rural subsistence gill netters...

They may as well change thier name to the COC, the Commerical Outdoor Council, "If you're in the business to make money on Alaska's big game, & commercial fishing we'll represent you in Congress!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Apparently not.................... :
    Winter is not over, I guess
    Strong opinions, which is the case in this forum. But I support the AOC because they sponsor youth hunting and firearms education and safety, because I dipnet at Chitina, and because I hunt.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org/currentEvents.html