Thread: Anchor Chain-stainless or galvanized?

Default Anchor Chain-stainless or galvanized?

Is stainless chain the only way to go on a salt anchor, or will galvanized do? I imagine the zinc plated chain is eaten up like a diode. Sometimes I may leave the anchor down on a bouy for a week, but not much more.

Cap'n Ron

Default anchor chain

Most boater use galvanized anchor chains. There are different types and sizes that will depend on what breaking strenght you need and how you are going to pull the anchor. Many of the rope/chain winches use a smaller type chain.

Wink

Galvy, -you'll have other stuff on your boat to over spend on!

Interesting side note: Anchor rode used in salt water will not suffer the fate of anchor rode used in freshwater or rinsed with freshwater, don't wash your anchor line with the garden hose!

If your into cheap and strong, go galvinized but get something American made. If your into cool, go stainless. You can still get American made stainless chain but it will not handle the load that some of the better steel chains do.
    (side note) I'm into cool and there fore have a LOT of stainless goodies on the C-dory, most of which I made. I keep hoping to find her at the dock, loaded with bikini babes sippin martinnies some day! Aint happened yet though!
    Mike

Question ?????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Anchor rode used in salt water will not suffer the fate of anchor rode used in freshwater or rinsed with freshwater, don't wash your anchor line with the garden hose!

Why not? Fill us in if you are saying freshH2O is easier than salt on line.
    I always rinse everything in freshwater, including the lines.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    If your into cheap and strong, go galvinized but get something American made. If your into cool, go stainless. You can still get American made stainless chain but it will not handle the load that some of the better steel chains do.
    (side note) I'm into cool and there fore have a LOT of stainless goodies on the C-dory, most of which I made. I keep hoping to find her at the dock, loaded with bikini babes sippin martinnies some day! Aint happened yet though!
    Mike
    The Master of Metal has spoken again I know you made your stainless chain?? cause the ready bought ones were a couple of thousands different in size on each link and your probaly spinning stainless thread out of stainless shavings laying around the shop for those stainless bikini's beers.gif
    Is splash day getting close? I wanna know how that hauler & davit work, not worried about the pots they'll do their part if you set'um on some decent bottom. See ya for breakfast when you get into town.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

This was a good topic at the seamanship class a few years back. I don't recall the exact chemical explanation, but I do remember the Coasties mention of the salts "preservation" properties, vs freshwater doing what freshwater does and thats rot stuff. It does contradict the info all over reguarding recommendations of rinsing with freshwater and using detergents on synthetic and natural fiber materials. No one hangs there anchor rode out to dry like a close line after every use, this may be the difference, as they are generally in a pile or bag as they sit "maybe" drying over time or not. Someone else might have a more scientific explanation and can chime in here, or completely de-bunk the whole thing.

Thumbs up Thanks, guys (I guess yur all guys!)

Appreciate the advice, galvanized it is. Also like the idea of not rinsing the rode in fresh, why work when you don't have to, but my experience is PWS water is so rich, you get a fine aroma building if the rode lays around with wet salt water on it! Maybe that is what is keeping the babes away!

Check out my boat for sale soon on that fourm ~~~~ Cap'n Ron

I know (have read) that it's not saltwater that causes wood on a boat to rot, but fresh water. The salt water does not allow the fungus that causes rot to live, but fresh water does. I don't know if this applies to line. I don't think that nylon get moldy/rots too easily. I don't wash my anchor line with fresh water (or salt water) only because it would be such a pain.

Talking

Soak you anchor rode in saltwater on the weekends, soak your fishing line also. Then after you soak those two correctly you should then dip your net in also. Get blood on your fillet knife at the end of the day and you should be good!