Thread: Guide Gun feeding problem

Default Guide Gun feeding problem

I'm pretty sure I''ve seen this addressed on the forum before, but I had no luck searching for it:

My Marlin Guide Gun doesn't feed very reliably; the rounds don't come all the way out of the mag tube. Any ideas how to go about fixing this?

I don't want to take it to that ONE place; heard too much negative about their service and attitude, although they are supposed to be very knowledgeable about the Marlin levers.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

You don’t say if these are hand loads or factory ammo. If its hand loads I would double check my COL and make sure you weren’t a bit long if you know what I mean……..

If you think you have a bonifida “gun” problem and don’t want to use the shop with the name that must not be spoken……………….then I suggest you give Mr. Andy Hawk a call at 562-0881. Andy is an honorable man, that will treat you and your firearm with respect. His prices are fair, his turn around times are reasonable, his pricing is less than that shop that must not be named, and he can do everything they can do but better, as he worked for the man that must not be named in the shop that must not be named.

I know there are a bunch of guys on this forum that favor a different gun smith whom I have had no experience with. I wont mention his name (Stan Jackson) because I have had no personal experience with him (but I hear he is awesome) so I try to steer folks towards Andy whom I have had experience with and can honestly say has never disappointed me in any way. Give him a shot, and you will be a very happy customer.

Seriously now…………I always heard how great Stan is, and I wont / cant dispute that because I have had not experience with him. And you don’t get that good of a reputation from being a hack. But I have dealt with Andy for over a decade and he has never given me a reason to look elsewhere. Nuf said, he is a good sh*&t and will treat you right.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default second that

I'll second the vote for Andy. He's done some great work for me. He got my old Remington 740 working great. He knows how to treat people right also. That's pretty rare these days. He's top shelf.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

AKRoadkill,

Last October, I stopped at the shop no one wants to mention. I intended to swap sling swivel studs on my rifle as the gunsmith who previously bedded it used an unusual flange I would have to dremel off to remove once I got home. I thought I'd ask if they could do it for me while I was in Anchortown. It was ready the next day and I had a nice conversation with a couple guys there. Aside from the guy behind the counter runnin his mouth continuously, I had no problem with anyone there.

Since they appear to be quite knowledgable with Marlins, you might consider just stoppin by there to see if they can help you.

They are handloads, COL is 2.540". I've shot a lot of those loads over a few years with no problems, but last summer it wouldn't feed right. The rounds barely come out of the mag at all, as if the spring is staying compressed. I can "gravity feed" it sometimes, but sometimes I need to pull the round out of the magazine.

I need to figure it out before I head out and about in grizzly land. It'd sure be nice to have the option of a second shot (although I'm sure I'll never need to shoot twice). A post I saw here a few months ago said something about a similar problem and a simple fix...but I can't seem to find it.

Might have to call Andy or Stan. Is either of them in the Valley?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

No, Both Andy and Stan are in Anchorage. sorry but I dont know any of the guys out in the valley.

you might try pulling the foreend and magazine tube off just to have a look see? Perhaps it is something really simple and you will be able to see what is going on there.

just pull the two little screws that hold on the front foreend cap, then pull the screw that holds the magazine plug in the end of the magazine. this screw also holds the magazine to the barrel. then all you need do is pull the forearm and magazine down and forward from the action using care not to loose the plastic button that rides in the magazine.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Forum Sponsor

I have alot of experiance working Marlins. You can bring it by the shop any day Monday thru Saturday.

Steve
    Alaska Custom Firearms

try cleaning and oiling the mag tube, spring, and follower.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    No, Both Andy and Stan are in Anchorage. sorry but I dont know any of the guys out in the valley.

you might try pulling the foreend and magazine tube off just to have a look see? Perhaps it is something really simple and you will be able to see what is going on there.

just pull the two little screws that hold on the front foreend cap, then pull the screw that holds the magazine plug in the end of the magazine. this screw also holds the magazine to the barrel. then all you need do is pull the forearm and magazine down and forward from the action using care not to loose the plastic button that rides in the magazine.
    I tried to pull the magazine spring out; took out all those screws, but the fore-end didn't want to come off. I've learned from experience not to try forcing things...is it okay to pry a little to get the thing off without busting anything?

I am trying to remember here as I dont have the gun in front of me for reference. I think you need to push (or slide) the forearm end cap forward about an inch, and then you can pull the mag tube down from the barrel a bit and then the whole assembly should slide off towards the muzzle

OK, got it off. The spring and follower are stuck inside someplace. I don't know if it's a dent in the tube or rust/corrosion. Should be a relatively simple diagnosis from here...

Thanks.

Default Got it!!!

It was just crud sticking in there. Got it all cleaned up and it works fine now!

That’s great! Cant complain about an easy fix, and now you know how it comes apart.

I generally give all my lever guns a once a year tear down. For the Marlins that means that the stocks come off, mag tube off, lever and bolt out and a good scrubbing with Hoppie’s #9. FYI, a 20 gauge bore brush is a bit big, but works pretty good for the magazine tubes.

Only one place is the authorized service center. Its usually a quickk fix warranty issue