Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS decisions

Question GPS decisions

Going to need a GPS for my upcoming moose hunt this fall. I hunt mainly from my wheeler or use it to access most areas and I don't have a boat so I don't need anything to fancy. Are the Garmen eTrex series any good? Any other recommendations ? Thanks.

Default Garmin

I've been looking hard at the Garmin Map 76 series. I'm having a hard time justifying $200+ (depending on which model) though. I have a couple of friends that I go snowmachining with who have them and they are awesome. They are a little bigger than the E-trex, but the screen is bigger and the mapping capability is very nice. Magellan makes one similar in size and function, but I don't know what they are running $ wise now.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A lot depends on what you want out of a GPS. My son uses it to get his lat/long and uses a map. I like the map display and tracks on my snow machine for simple land nav. I have used the Magellin Meridian for a few years and like them. I lost it in a canoe dump and replaced it with a Garmin Rino. So far Im not to impresed with the sat lock on the rino It keeps loosing lock and seems more finiky than the Meridian. But the other bells and whistles on the rhino are great. Being able to see on the map where other units are and using the radio.
    I think I will buy another Magellin for my snowmachine this winter.

Like I said a lot depends on what you want out of the unit.

Regards,

Jim

Thumbs up gps

I have had a couple different Garmins. I have a the Garmin Vista C right now. I take it on the wheeler and the snow machine as well as hunting. I use the Mapsource Topo disc on the computer to load maps and to upload from the gps after tracking where I have been. It is sufficient for everything I do and I really enjoy using the computer to keep track of everything! Eric

Default gps

I had a magellan ifinder hunt. Big screen was nice but no maps for AK and too many functions. I sold it this spring and got a garmin. The garmin is very fast,
    intuitive, and has good maps available. Get an "x" model. It stands for expandable memory but also has faster processor and works indoors, in cars,in pockets and the quadboss box on my atv.
    Turn on different models in the store and see how quickly they get a fix.

I'll trade you my 60CSx for your pacrat

LOL........no thanks, i don't need one that fancy. Basically I just need one so I can mark things like, kill site, air charter pickup points, basic stuff like that.

I "had" a Garmin Etrex Vista C... and I'm trying to get another one. They are pretty awesome GPS's and I understand that they've been refined since the last one that I had. I used them like EricL said and I couldn't be happier with it. I have a Garmin Rino right now and I HATE it, it takes a month of sunday's to get a signal where the Vista C was only a few seconds. I'd rather have a seperate radio and GPS. I didn't think that the color screen was a big deal until I needed the contrasting colors and backlit display in low light conditions. After having it, I don't want to be without it. Oh, and I think there is a manufacturer's rebate on them right now. My 2 cents.

Has anyone tryed the Magellin explorist XL with the big 3.5 collor screen??
    Also someone said the new mapsend topo software does not include alaska. Can anyone confurm or deny that?
    I have the older software but dont know if its compatable with the newer units.

Regards,

Jim

A note about GPS/radio units. Keep in mind that any radio that transmits at over 1/2 watts in some of its channels, such channels fall under the FCC GMRS rules. It means that for using those GMRS channels a license is required. The GMRS license costs $80.00 per five years, but it covers the licensee and all his family members. However, if such a radio also has FRS channels (same as CB channels), one can always use these channels to communicate with anybody, and a license is not required. FRS channels allow transmitting at 1/2 watts or low power much like your CB radio.

I read on the Garmin web page that the regs have changed a bit and you can use the GMRS freqs to transmit position signals on the rhino GPS.

Regards,

Jim

Here is the Garmin Link: http://www.garmin.com/products/rino130/

Regards,

Jim

What about the Garmin eTrex series GPS, are they any good? I don't want to spend $300 or more on something I might use once or twice a year.

Default Garmin Etrex Series Are very reliable and so simple

even I can use it.
    Still too many features for me but for 99.00 hard to beat. a simple mark and name with a track and track back function alows one to leave a bread crumb trail and store various trips and trails. I use it with my boat and while hiking.
    They key of course is to mark your starting point. It locks on well and stays locked on. As an aside, a friend is using his etrex over in Iraq- he has passed on a couple more advanced Garmins that we sent over to other guys in his unit that had nothing but the heavy Mil-Spec gear.
    He is confident in his etrex.
    I think I will get a more advanced version with mapping capabilities,but I will keep this one for back up and light wieght packing.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

I am still using a Garmin Emap along with the AK topo maps. It is an easy to use unit with a decent size screen. They now make newer models but you may find a good one on Ebay for under a $100.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskantinbender
    I read on the Garmin web page that the regs have changed a bit and you can use the GMRS freqs to transmit position signals on the rhino GPS.

Regards,

Jim
    Just to transmit a position, and I imagine that it's done not by voice but by pressing a button or something like that so the unit can transmit the data to another unit.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    LOL........no thanks, i don't need one that fancy. Basically I just need one so I can mark things like, kill site, air charter pickup points, basic stuff like that.
    Not sure if you've found a GPS yet or not, but if you want just the basics you can get a Magellan Explorist 200. It does exactly what you listed and no more. I own one of these and it is a good GPS if you have a paper topo map. You can't upload any maps to it, so it just has the default map, but it's not that bad of a map. There are kits you can get to download your tracks and points, but uploading maps doesn't work yet.

Thanks for the post, I picked up a Garmin eTrex last week from Cabela's, now i just gotta learn how to use it.....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskantinbender
    Has anyone tryed the Magellin explorist XL with the big 3.5 collor screen??
    Also someone said the new mapsend topo software does not include alaska. Can anyone confurm or deny that?
    I have the older software but dont know if its compatable with the newer units.
    Regards,

Jim
    yep I bought one before checking on the map software, bad idea. The only thing on the map for Alaska is a short red line that is the Parks Hwy, doesn't even show cities. I talked to Magellan and they said the new Map software will not have Alaska anytime soon. AND the old version software doesn't work on the XL. So before you buy Magellan, make sure you have the old version software (it covers Alaska) and the model you buy will use it. Also the old software can't use USB connections to your PC, so if the only way the new Magellan GPS unit you are buying connects to a PC is via USB, your out of luck. The New software says on the box , in very small print NO Hawaii or Alaska but they don’t tell you that on their website. Took it back and bought a Garmin

There is a rebate on certain Garmins untill 12/31/06.
    http://www.compuplus.com/ps-products...q5o196pris705a
    This site has some good prices and also list where rebates apply.

Dang, i bought mine from Cabelas and they didn't say anything about a rebate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast