Thread: Visitor Advice?

Default Visitor Advice?

Hey guys, another visitor here dropping into your community to pick your brains. I'm a freelance photographer coming to Anchorage for a brief assignment next week. I'll have a couple of free days to knock around and would appreciate advice for wetting a hook on some scenic stretch of water nearby. All I'll have are a rental car, a med-light spinning rig and a love for the outdoors. My experience is limited to southeast-US fishing for bass and in-shore salt species. Low on funds but hate to make a trip to wild wonderful Alaska without getting at least a taste of the "experience."
    Any advice on how to make the most of my brief time there is MUCH appreciated.
    Regards, J.Lee

if your looking for an adventure, whittier is wonderful for photography. they rent boats there or you can check the empty seat section on the forum. depending on what your interested in fishing for there are alot of different options available. i would suggest a book the highway angler has more in it than you can do in 1 summer. depending on your amount of free times there are always charters, wildlife abound, and this time of year alot of sunlight. if you need any specific recomendations we need more info. times,dates,budget. what you feel like doing.deep sea fishing, hiking,trout fishing, lakes ,streams, wonderful views, wildlife. let me know if i can help you with anything, i am out of whittier alot maybe you can tag along.jeff

Ideally, I'd like to be able to drive/hike to a stream within a couple of hours of Anchorage and have a good chance of catching a few fish (trout?) on lightweight tackle (6lb. spinning gear) and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I'm afraid that I'd just get in the way combat fishing so hoping to find a quiet area with some type of good fishing. Is this possible for a newcomer?
    Whittier sounds awesome but I'm afraid I only have one day free at the beginning of the week and one at the end. Thanks. J.Lee

Default North

Willow is starting to produce some rainbows. It is only about 2 hours north of anchorage. If your there on the weekday the crowd is not bad at all. It is not to bad on the weekends either as most trout fishermen respect each others space and give plenty of room. I like to park down at the campground by the mouth and work my way up. Just my .02 worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight