Thread: Anchorage port questions.

Default Anchorage port questions.

Hey guys, I was wondering about the Ship Creek ramp. My brother just got a boat, its a 18ft aluminum harborcraft with a 50hp, 4stroke honda. What locations across the inlet are within are reach? What sort of problems with mudflats or hidden obstacles are out there. Do you have to run at high tide or can you launch and run at any time of the day. One more question, what areas are popular for fishing or hunting over there? Thanks!

I dont know if they ever dig that one out, but the one time I tried to use that launch there was 50 feet of mud preventing us from launching. So unless something has changed, its not a low tide launch.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Dug it

Down at Ship creek wednesday and they were digging it out with a track-hoe and a couple dozers. The launch opens on the 15th.

I think they dredge it every spring. There's so much silt coming down from the glaciers that it doesn't take long before it fills back up to the point of being a high-tide only launch. And as far as motoring across the Inlet to fishing grounds... well, that's a pretty tough nut to crack. With problems of finding channels through the mud flats and bars and always having to watch the tides, most people will tell you it's better to tow your boat around and launch directly in the rivers. My uncle gave it a few tries before he finally gave up.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I kinda had a feeling it was gonna be tough going. Still, there has to be somebody out there that braves the flats...what is your secret?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default duck hunters

will brave about anything for a shot at a bird. try your post in the hunting section.

Default learn by experience

Give it a shot & see what you think & what you find. Mabey you will find some areas that you can share with others that ask the same question. No better way to learn then first hand experience.

Default tides...

I've never run around out there, but one tip I can offer from my experience with waters like that is to try and make your trips when the tide is rising. If you happen to get stuck on a bar, you still have time to float free...rather than waiting it out for the next high tide. Another note is to look at the next high tide, as well. If you get stuck and the next high tide isn't as high as the one that stranded you...then you're really stuck for a while.