Thread: Port of Anchorage questions.

Default Port of Anchorage questions.

Hey guys, I was wondering about the Ship Creek ramp. My brother just got a boat, its a 18ft aluminum harborcraft with a 50hp, 4stroke honda. What locations across the inlet are within are reach? What sort of problems with mudflats or hidden obstacles are out there. Do you have to run at high tide or can you launch and run at any time of the day. One more question, what areas are popular for fishing or hunting over there? Thanks!

No personal experience, but have asked the same question with the following responses. Go at high tide only, dont go with North wind and incoming tide-gets nasty out there. Duck hunters leave on high tide, spend the night, return on high tide. I would like to go to Little Su, was told to take someone who has been there previously, can be hard to find the river mouth. Stay away from shore, lots of sand/silt bars, can even get stuck out in the middle-wait for higher water. Thats about what I have heard. Good luck.
    NRA Lifetime Member

ramp opens may 15th. go by and look at low tide, there is 20' of mud before the water..... not something i would want to launch in... i may be wrong but go have a look...jeff

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i used to leave two hours before high tide and come back 1 hour before high tide. i always got my @$$ kicked one way or the other out there. afternoon winds are pretty much a given and yes the little su is hard to find. i use my gps wich i have premapped but i havent gone over for some time. i feel safer out there in a zodiac. 1 mile off shore and you can still be in 6 feet of water to give you an idea what the flats are like. be careful out there.

Default little and big su

I've launched out there numerous times and found that two hours before high tide is an absolute good idea. The little su can be pinpointed on nautical charts, then some searching with binocs will let you find a way in. Stay in the shipping channel on the chart until you reach about 11 miles out, then start heading in with caution and some binoculars and you'll find the little su, go a bit farther and you'll get to the big su. The reason I say go before high tide is that when you do find a sandbar the incoming tide will help you off rather than screw you to completly stranded within minutes, then you could really get into trouble waiting for 12 hours to get re-lifted by the tide the weather could come in with that next tide and you might be fighting 10 foot breakers while trying to get out of the mud, and that is either scary or deadly, depending on your abilities and equipment. That being said, I love going on boat rides out there just to watch the sun set, planes take off, and hang out.

Chris

Default Down by the launch...

Anyone other than me see the tractor tugs in the wind storm this last winter? I watched two of them from the coastal trail in about the strongest winds we had this winter. They were beating the crap out of the morage they were tied to, had to cut loose and head inland. It was amazing watching them get tossed like nothing, you would not have wanted to be on one! It was video worthy for sure, ya' shoulda' been there!

Default thanks

Anybody else brave enough to launch out of Anchorage? What about Beluga Island?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i thought about going over to beluga lake for moose hunting this year but i will be working in delta junction thsi fall. think ill hunt the north this year . i am brave enough to cross over to the big su, little su, beluga river, BUT ill do it on only terms that are appealing to myself. i speak from experiance.