Thread: Finger Lake

Default Finger Lake

I was going to try and get my boat wet this weekend on Finger Lake. Has anybody ever fished there before? If so, is the fishing good? I noticed the stocking report says that there are trout, pike, grayling and char in the lake. Thanks for your help.

Nail those Pike and throw 'em on the bank! Gotta get rid of those puppies!

Throwing pike up on the bank is intentional waste of fish and is prohibited. You should harvest all of the pike you catch and give them away if you don't want to keep them for yourself. I know Beans Cafe in Anchorage welcomes fresh, clean pike.

So, does this mean there are a lot of pike in this lake? If they are as good as walleye then I would be keeping all that I catch. I always throw trout back though.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Throwing pike up on the bank is intentional waste of fish and is prohibited. You should harvest all of the pike you catch and give them away if you don't want to keep them for yourself. I know Beans Cafe in Anchorage welcomes fresh, clean pike.
    Where is that written in the AKF&G regs? Not trying to be difficult, just would like confirmation to abide by the rules & regulations. I'll look it up on the mean time. Since arriving in AK I've heard it is vital to rid as many Pike as possible being an invasive species and tearin' up the indeginous fish population in the lakes and streams. Was told when the ALCAN was being built, guys from the states that fished for Pike introduced them to appease their sporting habits. Not sure if that is true...

Besides, the fish really wouldn't go to waste throwin' 'em on the banks. Loads of eagles and four-legged critters would snack on 'em.

Found the annotation about "keeping Pike" and will abide accordingly.

Never been fishin' for Pike before, just heard they are decimating the salmon & trout population in South Central Alaska.

Matanuska-Susitna Valley / Kenai Peninsula / Anchorage Bowl - Northern Pike

there relly tasty anyhow so why feed them to the eagles anyhow. my kids go nuts over fresh pike.

Thumbs down Sport Fish-Waste

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    Where is that written in the AKF&G regs?
    2008/09 Southcentral Alaska Regs, Page 4:

"Wasting of fish: The intentional waste or destruction of any species of sport-caught fish is prohibited."
    More info at AS Title 16 and 5 AAC Titles 16, & 75

Pike are really good to eat... basically a perch. Just boney. Lot's of info available on how to properly 'fillet' a pike. Then, get your bib out - yum.

Fished Finger Lake a lot last year and didn't catch any pike. Did catch some nice rainbow. I plan to go there tomorrow to give it a try. If you are looking for pike you might want to target the shallower water and weedier areas. I usually fish deeper and that is probably why I haven't caught any. Another interesting thing is that I have never caught fish here on a sunny day. When the clouds are out we do great. When it is bright and sunny, no luck at all. Not sure why.

I had some pike from Alexander lake and it tasted like mud. I thought they would taste like a white flaky fish should but they were nasty. I pan fried them fresh as soon as I got back home.

Pickled pike is incredible though. I had some pickled pike that tasted just like bread and butter pickles. I had to fight off the kids to get some. It really was that good.

Down here in Southcentral Pike are varmint fish. Up North near Fairbanks there are lakes that are catch and release only for pike.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I have fished some other valley lakes and have caught fish on sunny days. I do think the fishing is a lot slower when it is bright out though.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".