Thread: What size generator for trailer

Question What size generator for trailer

I am looking into purchasing a 19 foot travel trailer and I need a generator. I have no idea what to get. I was thinking something 2000 watts. Just running TV/lights/etc occasionally. Any particular brands. I do know I want something that is pretty quite. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

If the trailer has air conditioning and you want to use it, you will need a 3000 watt generator. If not, the 2000 should be fine. I like the Honda quiet series generators, you can have a conversation standing right next to one running.

Default I second

The Honda recommendation

I bought mine out of state from an ebay dealer and had it shipped which saved me about $100 but that was a few years ago

We carry a Yamaha 1,000 watt inverter generator on our RV. It will power the microwave and the coffee pot (not at the same time) but it's main use is to power just the dvd player and the tv. This way we do not have to run the 4k main generator.
    Instead of burning a gallon of gas an hour with the main one we burn about a quart every 12 hours using the 1k model.
    We set it outside in back of the rv and can't even tell it is running. Had it for almost 4 years and the only maintence it required was an occasional oil change. Weighs about 27 pounds. It does double duty as back up to run the tv and a couple of lights in the house during the winter power outages. Cost us about $625 when we bought it.
    Tennessee

Default thanks

thanks for the info. I think I have narrowed it down to the yamaha or honda. Now I just gotta find one.

Default Honda

In Anchorage you can pick one up at Alaska Battery, as well as any other electrical supplies you might need.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Honda EU2000i hands down! This small (47lbs) gen runs my complete cabin and is very quite and fuel efficient. United Rentals sell them also, $998.00 pretty much every where, you can fine them on sale for about $798.00. Check craigslist I see them there often.

Unhappy Honda Generators On Sale - Where?

I've been on the prowl for a good deal on a Honda EU2000i generator all spring. Keep hoping to get a new one for less than the everyday price of $999, but no success yet -- not even at the Sportsman's Show last month.

Every store that I've checked out is firm on the price, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they even have the item in stock or know when the next shipment will arrive. It makes for a frustrating situation, but I need to pull the trigger soon since fishing and camping season are approaching fast. The way things are going, I'll probably end up paying full pop.

The Honda EU series is incredibly popular up here, so competition is high and shops can easily get their asking price. Definitely a sellers market, especially for the 2000 model.

I wasn't aware of Alaska Battery and United Rentals carrying Honda generators, so I'll plan to explore those options. eBay is another possibility, but I find it hard to believe that the price savings will out-weight the shipping costs.

For folks who want to buy a Honda and are short on cash, they may want to make a purchase directly from the manufacturer. Currently, the company is offering no payments or interest until January 2010. For details, click on the following link:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...rs.aspx?pc=gg2

If anyone is aware of new Honda EU2000is selling for less than $1k in the Anchorage area please post here or send a PM. Thanks.

Tomcat, I bought mine right before christmas so "that" may have been the big sale $798.00. I haven't seen them any cheaper then 998.00 since, but don't really look that much. Just about everyone one sells these models and they all sell for the same, no deals .

United Rentals
    Sportsmans Wharehouse
    AK Mining and Diving
    Any Honda store
    Alaska Battery

The list goes forever up here...

I'll keep a eye out for ya.

Default or PM me

since I was the one that started the thread and said I was looking

akdsldog, thanks for the info.

tomcat, maybe if we both buy one they will give us a price break

Default 2000s

The honda 2000 was $895 at the sportsmans show at Ron's booth (the Soldotna Honda dealer).

Normally you can find them around town under 1000. I have had two, sold one with a trailer, bought a replacedment at the sportsmans show this year. I have a louder 3500kw that came with the trailer I bought if you are interested let me know, I have no idea what it is worth but it is not a honda quite one...

Honda EU2000i if you don't plan to run the air conditioner. Sportsman Warehouse has in in Fairbanks, so I imagine other Sportsman's should have it. The price is Honda's, which usually is $999.00, but I got mine for $970.00 from the Polaris/Honda dealer at Big Delta.

This generator is very quiet, since it's an inverter generator like several other Honda ones. If you are using low power lights, lest say five 100-watt bulbs, turn the ECO switch ON, and notice the engine's RPM come down to a crawl, and so the noise level. I have had mine running 8 hours on 1/2 gallon of fuel with two 250-watt flood lights (at the campsite).

I do this when I am alone at the campsite when my hunting partners are late for moose season. See...I am a big chicken and can't fall asleep thinking about bears in the darkness of night. THERE...ISAID IT A couple of years ago, one of my hunting partners came in the next night, and he told me that the campsite had more lights than Pump Station 7, and that he could see the lights from the trailhead eight miles away.

Anyway, you can cut the noise down further by pointing the muffler toward a large clearing, and by placing a thick hard insulating board between the generator and the tent. But I get used to the purr of the motor running at ECO, and soon fall asleep.

Default Honda EU2000

Gets my vote also. It will run all night without needing to be refuled and is not loud. easy to start. If you dont need AC this is the one.

Default thanks

Thanks for everyones input and advice. I went with the Honda eu2000i. I will put it to the test next weekend!

Default Check other brands

I have a McCulloch 2000 generator; has the Honda engine, identical to the EU2000i - just says McCulloch on it instead of Honda. All same features, etc.. and was half the price.

I don't know why people are saying that you can't run the AC with a Honda 2K. I suppose it would depend on the AC unit you have, but it can run the unit in my 22ft Arctic Fox trailer just fine. Of course, I can't run the microwave at the same time, but that's OK with me. I can even use it to power my 110 MIG for welding up light duty stuff... Gotta love that Honda 2K.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default watts

2kw for an electric coffie maker morn. can u find any thing draws more currant.....? ye so who cares bout spalling
    fshrman