View Poll Results: Pick between the two dates.

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Last week of June

27 84.38%
  • First week of August

5 15.63%

Thread: When to dipnet in Chitna

Default When to dipnet in Chitna

If you had to choose between the last week of June or the first week of August, when would you dipnet in Chitna? For work reasons, these dates are the only times I can dipnet this year. I know neither date is perfect timing, but I have to choose one of the weeks.

you nee to at the sonar counts. that and call the number hems has for a fishing report to be really successfull

The last week of June is the best bet, just bring an extra net or 2 because that is when the kings are running good. In early August the fish counts drop as most of the reds have gone through and the silvers have not started yet.

Default I have done both

I normally go the last week of June, and have been very successful doing so. Last year I went the first week of August and we also did well. There were pros and cons to both times. In June all the fish were very bright, and we caught nice bright kings. However, there were lots of other people fishing in June. In August, the sockeye were quite a bit larger in size, but some were not as bright. The kings we caught were pretty dull also. However, we were the only people dipnetting. No waiting for a good fishing hole, no problems finding a place to camp, ect.

You would be wise to plan to go in June, then if that falls through you could make it in August. However if you plan to go until August and that falls through, you have to wait until next year. Just my 2 cents.

CubeCove

Default times

I too like cubecove have gone both times. I agree with his advice and go early (so you have another chance to go later). It is still fishing and I have been skunked before (not getting my limit). I can only go for 2 maybe 3 days. I know some that go for weeks. That is the way to do it if you have the time...if not your window of opportunity is small. Always look at the sonar counts and figure it takes the fish two weeks to get up to chitna from miles lake...that will indicate when to go.
    My favorite time to go is when the fish run up Haley Creek. It is usually the last few weeks of July begining of August. It is a nice break from dipnetting and (it is not included in your dipnet limit), but you can only take three a day. Time it right and you can walk on their backs..LOL...if the weather cooperates you can fish in your shorts and bare feet...nice sand there too....just my two (looks like three) cents

Default June it is

Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the past couple years sonar counts at Miles and seen that usuually the fish start hitting the Miles counter around 20 June. Hopefully I will be able to catch the fisrt slug of fish up river this year. Lat year was my first time dip-netting. I had so much fun and great tasting fish to boot. Dip-netting is so much fun I can not believe it is legal.