Thread: Commericial fishing

Default Commericial fishing

I am thinking about heading up to try my hand on a commercial fishing boat. I have a buddy that did it for 3 months and he said it was a fun experience. I enjoy hard work and I am looking forward to taking a shot at this. He works through a place called Fishing Company of Alaska. They are based in Seattle. Does anyone know anything about this company? Are they trustworthy? I would be interested in any advice you might have.

Thanks,

Ryan

Default More Info

Crabber? Seiner? Long-line? Gill net? Cod? Southeast? Bearing Sea? Cook Inlet? Bristol Bay? Kodiak?

There are commercial fisheries I would recommend for a greenhorn and fisheries I would not. You won't get rich either, but you'll have quite an experience....

Longline out of Dutch. Does that help? Which ones would you recomend/ stay away form?

That's a tough fishery in some tough waters. Long-lining is probably one of the most manual labor type commercial fisheries, and the Bearing Sea is probably the most dangerous. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you've never commercial fished before you need to know what you're getting into. In your case, the bigger the boat and crew, the better. You might want to think about getting your feet wet (literally) with a salmon sein or gillnet fishery, then move up to the long-lining out of Dutch. Good luck.

I've been on both thier longliners I would say go for it. They pay pretty good. Processors would pull in around 5 grand a month depending on the seasons. (at least that is what they told me). I was the biologist on the boats. They are no worse or better than any other fleet. I would guess since one of thier boats just sank, (alaska Ranger) that they would be a very safe vessel this season.
    One thing I would tell someone thinking about this.............understand you simply can not quit if you don't like it. They do 40 day trips, and you work 16 hours on and 8 off. You would get the worst jobs as a new guy. Someone who quits is confined to thier room, and you can't eat when "workers" are eating so you may or may not get regular meals............and everyone (I mean everyone) hates a quiter on a boat as they have to do the work you would have done. I have seen many "try" to quit, but it drove them even crazier and they eventually went back to work at half pay. I think if you quit you have to pay room and board too.
    Anyway I'm in homer trying to fish (the weather SUCKS!). Hope I gave you some good info. PM me and I can let you know more. I will be back on the computer regular in a week.

Default Thanks

I just want to thank you all for the great information. I am fairly new this forum and I am surprised by how helpful and encouraging everybody is. This was my first post but it won't be my last.

Thanks again,

Ryan