Thread: 358 Win Performance

Default 358 Win Performance

Who uses the 358Win and for what game? The reason I ask is I started with a handed down 35 REM for Ontario moose, black bears, and deer. It worked great out to 100 yards then I bought a 35 Whelen, Yep it works great out to say 275 yards. I had a 358 win made on a 700 Classic SA and it is one very balanced and great handling rifle and unless I need the edge of the 250gr bullets it is the rifle I want to carry.

Worked up two loads for it a 200gr spire point at 2490 fps and a 225gr partition at 2430 fps. This isn't a Brown bear gun but for any thing else what do you think? I haven't tried the 250 grainers because I still have a whelen.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Who uses the 358Win and for what game? The reason I ask is I started with a handed down 35 REM for Ontario moose, black bears, and deer. It worked great out to 100 yards then I bought a 35 Whelen, Yep it works great out to say 275 yards. I had a 358 win made on a 700 Classic SA and it is one very balanced and great handling rifle and unless I need the edge of the 250gr bullets it is the rifle I want to carry.

Worked up two loads for it a 200gr spire point at 2490 fps and a 225gr partition at 2430 fps. This isn't a Brown bear gun but for any thing else what do you think? I haven't tried the 250 grainers because I still have a whelen.

Exactly! (to quote someone else on this forum)

At 300 yards the 358 Winchester drops roughly 1 inch more than the Whelen and gives up less than 100 ft/lbs of energy to the Whelen. I'm thinking that the critters won't know the difference!

Kinda like getting run over by a truck going 24 mph as opposed to 25 mph.

As for the big bears..I wouldn't go picking a fight but if the fight comes to you then I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the bear!

The 358 is a very fine round and will usually out shoot a Whelen in terms of accuracy!

I would think that comparing the 358 Win to the 35 Whelen would be like comparing the 308 to the '06. With lower weight bullets the difference is negligible, but with heavier weight bullets the greater powder capacity comes into play with the larger case having the increasing advantage. I have never owned a 358 Win but have a pre'64 Win in 35 Whelen Improved that chronographs 225gr NP's into < .5 MOA at 2800 fps out of a 22" barrel.

[quote=tjen;265790]
    Worked up two loads for it a 200gr spire point at 2490 fps and a 225gr partition at 2430 fps.

The two loads you have selected are almost mirror images of the loads that I use. The 200 SP is superb for deer size game, and the 225 Nosler is excellent for anything else. If I could only have one load for the 358 it would be the 225 Nosler. Never took anything larger than elk with the 225 load but it would be fine for moose and grizz. I would not be afraid of a brownie if it came my way and I was packing the 358 and 225 Noslers.

I too have a 358 built on a short 700 action, (left hand), and I agree it is a sweet carrying piece. The comparison of the 358 to 35 whelen being like the 308 to 30 06 is pretty accurate, the longer case handles the heavy bullets a bit better.

Good luck with the 358. It has field performance much better than the paper ballistics suggest!

I would not be concerned about using it on any game in N.A.

Your shooting 225's at the same speed my 30-06 shoots 220's. I dont believe it is inadequate for the large critters.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default yup

I've recovered exactly one bullet from game shot with any of my 358's. It was a large Sitka blacktail buck running straight away at 80 yards or so. I was trying for the back of the neck, but it was bouncing around and I landed the shot just to the right of the base of the tail. The bullet travelled the full length of the back just over the ribs and under the backstrap, and continued full length up the neck and came to rest against the right rear corner of the lower jaw. No matter how you measure it, that was something over 5 feet of deer meat. The bullet started out at 200 grains and weighed 138 grains when recovered.

What was it?

A factory Silver Tip, never "known" for penetration and weight retention.

I've not recovered a single Nosler partition from game ranging from blacktail to elk to moose. Through and through penetration no matter the angle of the shot, along with good expansion.

Yeah, I'm sold on the 358. I've owned several Whelens over the years, but never hung onto them. Over the same period I've picked up three 358's and not parted with any of them.

Default Almost the same setup

that I am shooting for. I just picked up a 338 Federal yesterday, haven't even mounted the scope yet. I am planning on re-barreling my other 06 to 338-06 for the heavier bullets.

Default 358

the 358 winny is in my opinion one of the best rounds for all north American game, including the big bears! Ive had 2 one in a savage 99 that like a fool i traded off, then i had a BLR, the Blr had some major problems so sold it. all told Ive killed 2 big mountian caribou, a big black bear and a 1500 lb bison. I like heavy bullets so used the nosler 250 grainer. The bison was shot at 30 yards and was lifted right off the ground. Big bears with that load any day!

Thanks for the relpy's. The Loads were H4895, win brass, fed 210M primers. Used 46.5grs for the 225gr partitions, and 46.8grs for the 200gr spirepoints.

Pulled some bullets from my back stop which is pure suger sand. This shoud be just for a-b comparisons, abraped and abrasive to say the lest. Factory 200gr silver-tips at 2488fps all core/jackets seperated. Hornady 200gr spire point expanded down to or just passed the cannelure. The 225gr partition, classic expantion with lead left at tip. Only found two PT's these do penitrate I am not a miner. Also 200gr corelokts from the whelen factory load all expanded to the cannelure, I expect their MZ was about 2660fps.

Default Rifle info please

Thanks for the relpy's. The Loads were H4895, win brass, fed 210M primers. Used 46.5grs for the 225gr partitions, and 46.8grs for the 200gr spirepoints.

Pulled some bullets from my back stop which is pure suger sand. This shoud be just for a-b comparisons, abraped and abrasive to say the lest. Factory 200gr silver-tips at 2488fps all core/jackets seperated. Hornady 200gr spire point expanded down to or just passed the cannelure. The 225gr partition, classic expantion with lead left at tip. Only found two PT's these do penitrate I am not a miner. Also 200gr corelokts from the whelen factory load all expanded to the cannelure, I expect their MZ was about 2660fps.
    I have been toying with the idea of picking up a rem classic in 300 savage for the same type of setup. Could you please provide some specific's about yours. Who did the work? Barrel length, contour, make etc. What type of accuracy your getting or anything else would be great.

thanks, Jake

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of picking up a rem classic in 300 savage for the same type of setup. Could you please provide some specific's about yours. Who did the work? Barrel length, contour, make etc. What type of accuracy your getting or anything else would be great.

thanks, Jake
    I sent it to Shilen and they did all the work inclueding inletting the stock and piller bedding the action.

It was a #3 barrel at 20.5". It balances right at the hing pin for unloading the magizine. This is their regular magnum contour but with the .358 bore it lightens it up some I think its about 6 3/4 lbs and handles great. I couldn't decide on a 20 or 21 inch barrel so I just split the differance. I think its 40 1/4 inches over all lenghth and fits perfect in my boyt 40" gun case. This is my do all 0-250 yards gun I have a 35 whelen and a 35rem in a 366D so I am covered for both handling and power with the 358win right in the middle.

This was a 700 classic in 300sav that I bought just for this build. $500 bucks for a complete gun with beatiful dark all most rosewood looking stock, I just had it rebarreled. Seems any used 700 sells for at least $400 and I would have still needed a stock I liked so this was a no brainer.

Thumbs up Thanks for the response

Used 700's do seem to demand a high price. But I can get this 700 classic for $408 NIB.

Jake

I like the 358, I bought a 700 ADL village gun from a pawnie downtown here in the 70's and had Mcgowan put a 24in barrel on it. I have shot lots of deer with it, mostly on Montague. You can eat right up to the bullet hole. The 250 Speer slaps the deer down like a sack of potatoes. The 225 hornady works real well, I recoverved one that shot stern to front shoulder. I have a 2.5X Lyman perma center witha post reticle. Very nice combo. I did recently buy a Ruger 358 as well.

I would love to find a nice little bolt gun in 358 Win as a present for my oldest daughter when she comes back from her present deployment.
    She used a .308 in South Africa for hunting, but had to borrow a 375 HH a couple times.
    I think a medium weight bolt gun in 358 Win would be a dandy rifle for here at home, for a 120 pound woman...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I agree. In rifles weighing the same I doubt she could tell the difference recoil-wise between a 308 with 180's and a 358 with 200's. There is noticably more romp on the butt stock with the 250's in a 358, though. Not objectionable if she's an experiences shooter as she sounds, but it's there. My bolt 358 is quite a bit lighter than either of my other 358's (Savage Model 99 and Winchester M88). The extra recoil with 250's is less noticeable with the latter two, but that lightweight bolt gets my attention. Based on my guestimates of those weights, I'd figure on 7.5 to 8 pounds with a scope for "medium" weight. My bolt probably weights 6.5 with the scope, and that gets a little snappish with heavy loads.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    As for the big bears..I wouldn't go picking a fight but if the fight comes to you then I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the bear!
    I reckon that's a good way to put it.

I may not choose a 358 Win. for hunting beeg bars, but if I hadda defend myself from a bar with one, I sure wouldn't feel overly concerned.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.