Thread: Seward Report

Default Seward Report

Spring has been slow to come to Seward this year. As a matter of fact this has been the coldest sping in 15 years in Seward. In addition over the last two years water temp near the bottom at 50 fathoms have been the coldest they have been in 15 years ( I got that from an oceanographer at the U of A site here in Seward)
    So.....The bad news..The ocean has been rough and getting out over the last two weeks in to the ocean from Seward has been challanging. When the boats are getting out, they are catching some halibut close to home..That is within 9 miles of Cape Ressurection.

The good news....The weather is going to get better very soon AND the fishing in the Bay has been surprisingly good. Last Saturday we had fishermen catch 16 decent halibut 20 - 50 pounds in the bay along with a mess of cod. The other boats from our office also did similarly with decent catches of keeper coming close to home.

Where?? Look for rocky reefs in 270 - 550 feet of water. The spot just offshore of the old dock North of Caines Head produced a few nice fish for us on Saturday before going deeper and catching more. I am sure any of the areas where any of you have caught in the past in the bay will hold some fish now. Just sit it out. It took two hours to catch out first fish and we put in 14 from 1 PM until 3....the bite just got better and better but it took a long time.

Looking forward to better weather all the way around!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Spring has been slow to come to Seward this year. As a matter of fact this has been the coldest sping in 15 years in Seward. In addition over the last two years water temp near the bottom at 50 fathoms have been the coldest they have been in 15 years ( I got that from an oceanographer at the U of A site here in Seward)
    So.....The bad news..The ocean has been rough and getting out over the last two weeks in to the ocean from Seward has been challanging. When the boats are getting out, they are catching some halibut close to home..That is within 9 miles of Cape Ressurection.

The good news....The weather is going to get better very soon AND the fishing in the Bay has been surprisingly good. Last Saturday we had fishermen catch 16 decent halibut 20 - 50 pounds in the bay along with a mess of cod. The other boats from our office also did similarly with decent catches of keeper coming close to home.

Where?? Look for rocky reefs in 270 - 550 feet of water. The spot just offshore of the old dock North of Caines Head produced a few nice fish for us on Saturday before going deeper and catching more. I am sure any of the areas where any of you have caught in the past in the bay will hold some fish now. Just sit it out. It took two hours to catch out first fish and we put in 14 from 1 PM until 3....the bite just got better and better but it took a long time.

Looking forward to better weather all the way around!
    Thank you for the info. I was skunked out there last weekend.

Thanks Capt
    I am hoping to give it a go this weekend or next.

Default Whoot is spring here ?

Thanks for the report CAPT interesting seems as if it has been cold everywhere this spring. Just returned from the slope and was wondering if you have a report on the kings out of Seward I really want to get down to my 2nd home and veg a couple days in the slip maybe catch a few rock fish around the cape and try my hand and catch a few butts still learning the Seward area.

I caught a nice butt (40-50 pounds) last weekend just out from the tip of Castillo. I had never tried fishing there before for halibut, only salmon. The bad news....it took all day.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I caught a nice butt (40-50 pound) last weekend just out from the tip of Castillo. I had never tried fishing there before for halibut, only salmon. The bad news....it took all day.
    I have caught a few there, but nothing to right home about.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It was better than going all the way over to Johnstone Bay and hitting the chicken holes I suppose. I sat in Thumb Cove all day the day before and caught a few pretty good sized rock fish - which surprised me considering I wasn't really near the rocky area, but more over by the gravel and sandy beach. All in all, it was way better than working.