Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Spin-N-Glows

Default Free Spin-N-Glows

Yes that is right.

I am offering two rigged Spin-N-Glows to the first six people who ask for them.

Preferably to beginners who do not yet tie there own. Possibly dont even know what a Spin-N-Glow is.

--

Why? Because I remember the first summer (1984) that I fished for King Salmon. My brother and I who were 11 and 13 at the time were given $6 each to buy lures for our big fishing weekend with dad.

We bought some mepps spinners and a pixie or two along with a couple coho flies to use up the change. We pooled our money together to buy one Super Spin-N-Glow which I lost on a snag my first cast. I did have one hit on a coho fly but I did not get that little gap hook set.

It was not until my second summer that I hooked my first king on a Spin-N-Glow that I had found on the bank. My dad caught his first king that second summer on a factory Spin-N-Glow with the wire shank. We were self taught to say the least.

I would like to give a head start to a few here by at least giving them the right rig to fish with.

These are #4 on a 30# P-line Evolution leader at 30" with a tandem 3/0 Gamakatsu hooks and a 100# berkely barrel swivel.

Just put a 1/2 to 1 ounce sinker on your main line in front of the swivel depending on current. In a river with current cast quartering upstream, let the lure drift with minimal slack and reel in when the lure stops swinging. If your fishing a slough then reel in slowly, just fast enough to make the wings spin. Of course there is a little more to the techniques than this. Along with more ways to fish them. In the right hole I have just stuck on extra weight cast out into the hole and put the rod in a forked stick and leave it the til one grabs it. Might want to add an anchor line to your rod though.

--

I cannot possibly remember every pattern of Kwickfish,Pixie,Vibrax,Wiggle Wart, Hot Shot,Spin-N-Glow (with or with-out a Lil'Corky) That I have caught kings on now. I do know that I have caught some Kings in the last couple years on this green pattern #4.

My go to lure would be a #2 Flame chartruese S-n-G with white wings and my dad since his third summer fishing kings only uses a flame/chartruese #4 white wings S-n-G with tandem 3/0 hooks. Dad will sometimes throw on a Kwik-fish if we're backtrolling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Hey

I'll take some if you don't mind. Being 26 and new to fishing sucks but I am slowly learning bit by bit. I have have only caught three reds and those were on the Russian. I hope that this year will be the year I catch my first King. Hopefully I can find some people with boats to go on the Kenai instead of fishing ship. I can't wait to get my line in the water either way.

Private message me your address. These rigs will work at ship creek too.

Default I never did like SnG's..

For some odd reason they just don't seem to work, yet everyone was using them...I've caught/hooked into more Kings on my Pixies than anything else...

I'll be doing my first King salmon fishing in a month. I'd like a set if you can. PM me for more info.
    Thanks!

Wink

ide be willing to give them a go if you have any left.

I can relate to RBJ13 in the sense that I am 28 and finally realizing how great fishing is as a personal sport/hobby. I live in Michigan, grew up scouting and camping, and with all the fresh water and rivers around, I dont know why its taken me this long to get back into fishing.

Im getting the chance to come to Alaska for the first time and work for www.pwsac.com. Im going to be working at the AFK hatchery on Evans Island from mid Aug. till the end of Oct..

I have no clue if your rigs will work in sawmill bay, and i have no clue how to fish them, but im willing to be a tester for you.

In fact, if you have any pointers for a greenhorn like me, I would be more than appreciative.

-bassturd

That's a stand-up thing you're doing, Mr. Miller.

I've already bought mine, but will be using your pics and info to rig them correctly.

Thanks a bunch.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Sir,

I would like to take you up on your offer!! Check your PM. BTW I am new to salmon fishing.

Thanks guys and gals.

I have six requests now.

I will collect addresses and send them off.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    For some odd reason they just don't seem to work, yet everyone was using them...I've caught/hooked into more Kings on my Pixies than anything else...

We just fish different types of water is all.

I use spin-n-glows for drift fishing and sometimes once in a while on a jet diver while backtrolling. Since I only cast and drift fish about 25% of the time I am usually using a plug of some sort.

Spin-n-glows work well where I fish. A couple years ago I was trying to get my father in law into his first king and after a couple days trying back trolling where everone but him caught some we pulled onto a beach and used the spin-n-glows. In a couple hours he had caught three kings on spin-n-glows.

Dont get me started on pixies. The only ones I use I found and I usually give them to kids who cant cast. The kids dont know any better. Pixies work well for silvers but that is cause silvers arent that smart.

Thanks again. I have a good feeling this year will be my year.

count me in on the spin/glows. Not really good at making them still in the learning phaze

I just received mine today. thanks and they look great.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Shoooot!!!

I'd be game...but I missed this thread and it looks like ya got your six and then some...

Has anyone used them trolling? If so, how did you rig them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

I have not used them trolling but you could. Just slap it on the leader with a bead in front and behind the S-N-G. The front bead keep floating debris from filling in the hole on the S-N-G.

What fish?

Fishing for Kings on Lake Michigan. Maybe put a flasher in front of them? I know they use them here for lake trout early in the year, slow and on the bottom. Just thinking that if they are a good bait in AK, why wouldn't they work here. Kings don't come into the rivers until September, so trolling is the way go.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    We just got in from a real good week of fishing in Ketchikan.
    My buddies hadn't seen these Spin-n-Glows before and thought they'd not work.
    Good news was they worked better with, than without.
    I caught fish with them at all depths even down to 125', with and without a flasher.
    I rigged them with a plugged Herring, and some with nothing at all. No matter how I rigged it, it caught fish.
    The only bummer was that most all the Kings were toss-backs, too small. The keepers were only around 24". But we did manage to catch a bunch of silvers. But unfortunately, lots of Pinks and Chums as well...big chums!
    By the end of the week, my buds were now using the Spin-n-Glows and then they said I'd better thank the guy that gave those to me.
    Well, Thanks RMiller!!!

Default That Is Awesome

Thanks for the report. That is worth the price of the rigs right there.

For what its worth I have used the plain Spin-N-Glos for many years and mostly rigged plain with no bait or yarn while drift fishing for river salmon. If the current is too slow then I will reel them in just fast enough to make the wings spin.

I have seen pictures of small ones used with a bait hook for flounders and also rigged with a worm used for walleye worm harnesses. They really are a versatile lure.

--------------

Thumbs up Don't Need S/Gs but....

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I would just like to know how to tie that dropper loop for the trailing hook? I've made a few snelled hooks, but how to add that loop escapes me. If you could pass that info on, I'd certainly apprecaited it.

Thanks
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast