Thread: How Much Work?! Help!!!!

Exclamation How Much Work?! Help!!!!

How much work is involved in the maintence of a cap-n-ball revolver. What are some tips I could use to keep the BP revolver fireing on a hunting trip?

They are pretty reliable and easy to keep that way. Just seal all your chambers. Get a tight fitting ball of course, seat that on top of a ox yoke wonder wad, then on top of the ball put a good smear of bore butter on for a finish. As long as your caps fit good and snug on the nips there shouldnt be any worries.

Default C&B Revolver Maintenance

Clean the cylinder in an ultrasonic cleaner before you load it for the hunt. An ultrasonci cleaner is an absolute must for a C&B revolver and will get residue and crud out of the cylinder you will never get out any other way. If you want to do a real thorogh job remover the nipples and clean them seperately.

After thoughtly cleaning and drying it load it up as prviously suggested.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default choose wisely

For field shooting I would strongly recommend starting with a stainless or plated revolver like: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3511 Remmingtons have the advantage of being able to change out to preloaded cylinders quickly (if you practice) and having safety slots cut into the cylinder to rest the hammer on and prevent accidental ignition which allows you to carry all six chambers loaded. having said this I still like the feel and sight picture of the Colt designs better.

Polish and clean it and possibly replace the nipples with HotShots or similar aftermarket ones for greater ignition reliability.

Definitely use WonderWads and grease the cylinder tops. To get a really good seal around the slug you might have to cast your own. There are also heavier hunting bullets available like MaxiBall with grease grooves.

I have not used an ultrasonic cleaner but that sounds like it is worth trying too. Does it hurt plating or blueing?