Thread: Best River Anchor?

Default Best River Anchor?

I did a search and could not find the thread on the best anchor on a river. I read it a couple months ago but couldnt find it. Anyone help me find it? Or thoughts on river anchors????

Default river anchor

Marita was the only place i found them last year. Someone said deweys sold them too, but when i called them they were out. Go into marita right to the service counter, bypass the idoit salesmen, and the parts guys will point you in the right direction. They really do work great!

It depends on the river bottom;ie sand or gravel.
    Most people just use their anchors for when they go ashore.

Types commonly seen are the Dankforth and the Bruce anchor. Either are good, but I prefer the bruce when anchoring up and fishing

Default Take a look at the Richter anchor

Got one last year and like it. We travel mostly relatively shallow gravel bottomed rivers. It is small in size and we leave it hanging from the anchor roller at the bow so it can be dropped easily. Sportwman's Warehouse carries them. http://www.richteranchors.com/

Default Richter?

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Got one last year and like it. We travel mostly relatively shallow gravel bottomed rivers. It is small in size and we leave it hanging from the anchor roller at the bow so it can be dropped easily. Sportwman's Warehouse carries them. http://www.richteranchors.com/
    What size boat do you have and what size Richter anchor?
    I have a 20' ft boat and have been using a 12# danforth. I had problems staying anchored in places like the Talkeetna River.

Amoto books has a video about anchoring in rivers. It is from the lower Columbia river. The guide suggests "rocking chair" anchors and gives an excellent demonstration on their use. It is an informative video.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    What size boat do you have and what size Richter anchor?
    I have a 20' ft boat and have been using a 12# danforth. I had problems staying anchored in places like the Talkeetna River.

2175 XS, 25# anchor

Default RL Anchor

Just go to the Kenai river and see what all the guides use during silver season. I believe it's called the "RL" Anchor, which was designed by a Kenai River guide years ago. I've tried a Bruce/claw anchor and a Danforth with no luck, but the RL anchor will literally grab wherever you throw it. The only place I know of where to buy them is Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

Talking RL anchor

RMKAK would you by any chance have a picture of the RL anchor? Thanks

Used to use a wad of tire chain on the St Joseph river in Michigan, held well, did not get hung up, cheap
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Have you seen these at Sportsmans Warehouse lately? I stopped by today and didn't see any!

Default Yes, I was in the Sportsmans' in Fairbanks

about two weeks ago and they had several.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    RMKAK would you by any chance have a picture of the RL anchor? Thanks
    Here is a picture of the anchor, which is used by many guides on the Kenai River.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My personal anchor of choice is the ez-marine columbia river anchor. I have it cradled in a big water assist anchor holder that works great. Used it all over Washington, Idaho, and here. Breaks free pretty much everywhere, and will hold you in the swiftest of currents. 100lb zip tie the chain to the top eye. If you are in a pinch pull hard and the zip tie breaks and then the anchor pulls from the bottom. Awesome design.

Default Saw Richter anchors in both

Sportsman's Warehouse and The Boat Shop in Fairbanks yesterday.