Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic calls

Default Electronic calls

Are electronic calls legal in Ak?

They are NOT legal for moose.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ...........In Southcentral....................now............... .....

Everybody else?:

Smoke 'em while you've got 'em...............you're next..............

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Sorry I should have said I was interested in pred calls for bear. (16b)

FYI- animals taken using electronic call can not be entered into Pope & Young Club record books.....i don't know about B & C.

never have seen reg about not using for moose? what page is it on ? Thanx
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default new reg

I think it passed statewide for the upcoming 2008 year. No electronic moose callers for moose.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I think it passed statewide for the upcoming 2008 year. No electronic moose callers for moose.
    This is true, no more E callers for moose in the state of AK. But, you can use them for preditors, i.e. bears, coyote, fox etc......

Default read the regulations

Do your own homework and read the regs.

Mark

It ain't in the regs yet.

It's like one of the slew of additional restrictions that come every year.

It's more than homework anymore; it's darned near a full-time paralegal job to keep track anymore........

Default No electric moose calls.

It is on the front page of the new Drawing Permit Supplement.

Default no regs?

If it ain't in the regs then go for it and fight the good fight later

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskainfNCO View Post
    If it ain't in the regs then go for it and fight the good fight later
    Ah, except emergency orders have priority over the general regs, so you better check those.

Default Keep Legal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It ain't in the regs yet.

It's like one of the slew of additional restrictions that come every year.

It's more than homework anymore; it's darned near a full-time paralegal job to keep track anymore........
    I've noticed that ! That's why I asked. I wrote for regs but don't have them yet and they are really hard to read on line. That's the first thing I'm going to do when I get there in a month. --Get my hunting & fishing license and tags so I can read read read regs. If your'e "slow" It would be hard to hunt & fish in Ak without breaking rules.

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    I've noticed that ! That's why I asked. I wrote for regs but don't have them yet and they are really hard to read on line. That's the first thing I'm going to do when I get there in a month. --Get my hunting & fishing license and tags so I can read read read regs. If your'e "slow" It would be hard to hunt & fish in Ak without breaking rules.
    If your fast and up to speed it's a full time job for a team of lawyers. Remember all regs can be changed and seasons can be closed be emergency orders. Mike Feagle a Game officer shot a moose out of season and was cited. That's why you can't hunt for a year as a resident, it takes a year to learn the regs.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    .......That's why you can't hunt for a year as a resident, it takes a year to learn the regs.

Good one!

Red face Regs

Personally -- I don't know that the regs are all that difficult to understand - if you take them in context.

Grab a copy of the hunting regs.
    Take out the staples.
    Cut the pages in half at the crease.

The first 36 pages are general rules - applicable to the state.

Now find the pages that cover the game management unit you plan to hunt.

Now you have about 40 pages.

Read them cover to cover

Read the GMU of your choice, again. Break it into the sub-units within the unit.

Get a copy of Google Earth... it's free

Download the GMU GPS data for AK... also free ... import it into Google Earth.

Now re-read the legal description of your hunt area... be sure it matches what Google Earth is now telling you (there was a disclaimer on the download).

Determine where you plan to hunt... be sure you know your boundaries (re-read the GMU portion).

Refer back to the regs for your GMU... determine when the season is for the applicable prey.

You might need a calendar; so that you can highlight which days a season is open... which weapon is needed... what type of hunter's education you will need.
    So grab a handful of colored markers or highlighters too.

Refer back to the original 36 pages... CAREFULLY read them to be sure that you will not violate a general regulation that isn't specifically identified in the GMU.

Refer to the last pages of the book (hopefully you didn't throw them out! Might need a new reg), to see if there are notes or restrictions in the Fur Bear/Small game section that may somehow effect your hunting.

Now, go on-line and read all the Emergency Orders for the region you plan to hunt. Read them carefully, as the verbage may be a little fuzzy as to what is open/closed or where.

See... that's it!

It should only take about a year to compile this data... and that's assuming you have picked an area that has game in it!

Oooh, Don't forget... the regs are good 1 Jul - 30 Jun... So, on 1 Jul, start all over, because something changed, somewhere in the book that effects the way you hunt.

Hehehehe - How do we ever get out and shoot at critters?

Whew.

Thumbs up E-Callers

Oh, by the way... electronic calls are legal for critters in the 2007/08 regs.

See Page 15 -- specifically states that electronic callers are legal for bears.

Page 1 of the 2008/09 Spring Draw Hunt Supplement states: "The use of electronic moose calls is prohibited for hunting."

Based upon that info... should be good for predators.

What if you are a mute? Do you think they would make an exception. Kinda unfair that I have no way to call in a moose.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    What if you are a mute? Do you think they would make an exception. Kinda unfair that I have no way to call in a moose.
    The guy who got me into electronic moose calling was deaf.

Default someone

will always find a loophole somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast