Thread: Lake Lousie Boating and launching

Default Lake Lousie Boating and launching

Would like to take my new Wooldridge up there the first or second week of June and play around in the lake fishing for lakers and pike.
    Is there a campground and launch big enough to back my boat down the ramp with my RV? Or would be better off leaving the RV at home and taking the truck?
    Tennessee

The launch at the end of the road is plenty good enough. Lots of inboards use it. The best boat launch in a rural area that I have seen.

Default We were there a couple of years ago

Couldn't launch from the public places but the B & B up on the hill had a great launch site. I think they charged us like $10, but we dropped the trailer in their yard and had a great time in the State campground in the motorhome.

Lake Louise is not reputed to have any pike population. I have heard that 2 were caught in the channel a couple years ago and there is a sign at the campground to keep any that are caught.

I would believe that the weekend after Memorial Day would be the earliest open water. Per a local out there "only 1 in 5 is the lake open for Memorial Day"

The road is now paved all the way to the launch. The launch is fine and FREE. There is a small campground with a bathroom in the campground about a hundred feet before the launch. There is plenty of room to turn around in the parking lot EXCEPT on Labor Day (from my personal experience).

There is a HUGE drop in the road about 1/2 mile before the boat launch.

I will be out there most weekends. PM me if you have specific questions.

Mike

Thanks. Can I easily park a 30 foot RV in the campground and use it to launch the boat (23 footer)?
    Tennessee

Most people up there launch with pickups. The ramp is not steep. If you can launch at Finger Lake, you should be fine. You may have to turn farther back where the parking lot is. Not a problem if you can back up a bit. If I am there, I can launch or recover you if needed.

You should be able to park near the launch, in the campground or at the pay per view campground. If you launch at the pay per view, it is VERY shallow. I have to back up until my front tires are in the water AND they charge you to launch.

Pack what you need. No real shopping out there.

We modified my brothers trailer to raise it a bit for launching in the rivers by switching the axel to the underside of the springs... it made it nearly impossible to launch at that pay facility. I had nearly 25' of water in "front" of my truck, stopped just shy of putting the tailpipe in the water. Still, I had a hard time getting the boat off the trailer and it was just a 16' welded aluminum jet boat.

Haven't been to the launch at the end of the road but I guarantee a great launch at the Point that you can launch most anything in, you'll pay a small fee for it but always doable.

Default Don't get in pickle at the turnaround

Snowwolfe:
    The launch at the end of the road will be fine. Dirt' is correct in that it will probably be too tight to pull up to the launch approach and turn around a motorhome and trailer.

The trick is to turn around in the parking lot and then simply back down from there to the launch.

The big issue down there at that launch is selfish, clueless, or just plain stupid people parking their vehicles along the side of the circle approach of the actual boat launch itself--- they pull up with thier pickup truck & camper, launch thier little 14 ft boat, then pull over to the edge of the launch area to park & camp-- sure in their minds there is plenty of room for everyone else to make the circle-turn. Any rig longer than an extended cab and an 18ft boat is screwed if they try it after that.
    We have a place on the lake there, and it gets so frustrating week after week with the same issue occuring at the launch, that I now just turn around futher up the road and back down all the way. It's usually the same culprit in an old red ford pickup & camper. And they're never there to engage a conversation on the topic...

If it`s blocked when I get there I just winch the offending vehicle out of the way.

Driving a 30 foot RV pulling a 23 foot boat. Sure there is enough room to turn around prior to the launch site?
    Tennessee

There is enough room. Like Mr Bill said, you may have to turn around a bit short and back up 100 feet. On a really busy day, you may have to 3 point turn it, but I wouldn't believe so. I can whip my 4 door Dodge and Wooldridge around right in front of the launch with no problem. The parking lot is about 2 acres if you include the launch and road. You always can launch at The Point. The pay facility is a big NO NO though.

If it`s blocked when I get there I just winch the offending vehicle out of the way.
    They do not actually block the ramp itself. They park on the road beside it and make it harder to backup.

Mr Bill,
    Check PMs
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    You always can launch at The Point. The pay facility is a big NO NO though.

To what do you refer "pay facility is a big NO NO"? Do you mean that you shouldn't have to pay the Point Lodge for their launch? Or do you mean that you are boycotting the "pay launch" next to the Point Lodge?

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    To what do you refer "pay facility is a big NO NO"? Do you mean that you shouldn't have to pay the Point Lodge for their launch? Or do you mean that you are boycotting the "pay launch" next to the Point Lodge?
    At the State campground there are 2 areas where you can launch. They charge $15 to park for the night and $10 more to launch (it also says $10 more to recover on the "contractors sign"????).

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/asp/unitfees.htm

The launch there is very shallow. To launch my boat I had to back up until the front tires were in the water and it was still shallow.

I frequent ALL the lodges out there. Some for fuel and some for food/meals. I have not had a bad experience yet. The fine people at The Point Lodge have always been helpful at the least. They also own their launch and can charge whatever they want. I have not had a need to use it though.

I am not boycotting anything. I will say that if you try to launch a 23 foot boat at the state campground, you better have 4 wheel drive as you will have to back 10-20 feet off the shore to hit deep enough water. Just when you think you are getting deep enough, you run up on a bar.

Why pay anything when there is a free launch that is actually pretty good, and plenty deep?

Mike

Mike thanks for posting about the free launch at the end of the road. I have used the state pay launch and it is way shallow, like all of you have said I had to back in till my front tires were in the water and the boat was barely floating. I will be using the free ramp from now on.

Talking Launch at the End, camp at your choosing

Broncoformudv:
    The best launch in the area is the new launch at the end of the road. It pays to stop a bit short, pull over, load up, walk down & look things over, and then you'll know what to do easy enough.

The state campgound ,that is back up the road about a mile from the launch, is a great place to park and camp with anything from a tent to a large motor home or 5th-wheel. If you don't mind paying .

After you have launched your boat at the end of the road, you can motor over around the point and pull your boat up to shore at the lakefront in the State campground area pretty safely. Just as others have stated earlier, however-- with a bigger boat-- don't even THINK about launching from the state campground area for the reasons already stated.

It is a nice camping area., tho. You have to deal with the out-of-state tourist summer-resident camp supervisors, but they're usually pretty friendly enough. They're just not locals , and really aren't adept at dealing with Alaskans very well-- We tend to not want to hear their list of rules and recommendations for obvious things such a bears, wild animals nearby, throwing trash down the outhouse, etc. You know-- the typical : " Caution!! - " Coffe is Hot! " approach ...

Be very careful in Lake Louise if you don't know the lake very well-- you can be running in 28-30 ft of water and suddenly find yourself in 1-2 ft of water ( or less ) in no-time. A piece of good advise is to give all islands a very wide berth untill you scope out the depths yourself and figure things out. Pay attention to patterns where other boats tends to travel through, and keep your thumb close to your trim-tilt switch

Default Poor information on campground managers

Gotta call Mr. Bill on his statement made about the state campground managers. They are a couple that is very familiar with Alaska, and also the Lake Louise area. They have owned a cabin on the south end of the lake for many years.and also up until a couple of years ago an Alaska tour bus operation. Just what credentials do people have to have to qualify as locals in your book mr Bill. Tom and Pinkie Bailey are very friendly and knowledgable about the local area and its inhabitants.
    Not sure where you got your info about them, but you are incorrect about them on more than one point that you made.
    They days of the out of state campground managers coming up and volunteering ended at Lk Louise several years ago. Tom and Pinkie have had the contract to run that campground ever since. As far as the rules of the campground go...did you happen to be there a few years ago when the state closed it. Good old "local Alaskans as well as tourists trashed the place and tore everything up including the outhouses and burning picnic tables. I know because I was there to see it. Tom and Pinkie took over shortly after and have been keeping the place shiop-shape ever since. Again, I know because myself and family have been there several times each summer. It was easy to see that without rules in that campground all you have is a dump!
    I will agree on one point you made....the boat launch is fairly shallow and you do have to back in quite a ways. Would not recommend that with a large RV, but I have been unloading and loading there several times a summer since 1986 and have never had a problem using a 4-wheel drive.
    Did not write this to rile anyone up, but I don't like people trashing good people when they don't know what they are talking about. Don't be afraid to stop in and introduce yourself' and ask a few questions to see if they qualify for your "Local" label.

Default Good news on the "new" management

Gary- your right-- i deserved that.

I haven't stepped foot in that place and talked to the "managers" in that campground in at least 5-7 yrs now. For many yrs before the new launch at the end of the road was built, that was pretty much the only place to launch & park without overloading the lodges. When the state finished it, there were official "boat trailer parking only" spots down by the launch area. The State did that on purpose for the people with boats--- this allowed a convenient place for people with property on the lake, and others, to have somewhere to park their vehicle and trailers for access to thier remote properties, or just a day of fun without having the "campout" on the grounds. Camping wasn't allowed in those spots unless a boat trailer was attached to the vehicle ( similar to what you have in Seward's harbor parking ).

Soon after the Murkowski admin. took over, funding was eliminated entirely for certain state campgrounds. Yes, I also watched the destruction with complete discust.

After they went to the private contractor thing-- the "trailer parking" spots became "camping only" -- we were chased off each time by the "managers" , and told the only place we were allowed to park our vehicle and trailers was at the old Military campground area further out back , away from the lake. The "locals" with property there were thus relegated to the outer peremeters, and we thus had to hoof our way back to the launch the 200-300 yrds thru the bushes each time. It wasn't really a bad walk, I just hated leaving all my stuff in my boat-- supplies and personal belongings, sometimes unattended, for the 15-20 minutes it took to park and walk back down to the lake.

The entire State camground area- which had been originally planned and built ( with State money ) as a "multi-use" facility, was now being run for camping people only- when the facility was really, in fact, built by the State at the time as a lake-wayside for a wider public usergroup than merely visisting campers.

Since us property owners were the only ones paying taxes at the time, to the Mat-Su burough, it frankly burned our butts that we were the ones being pushed off to the peremeter, and were being charged the same as if we were camping. Yet even though we had to pay the same fee as the people camping to park and launch our boats, we weren't allowed to select a closer parking place. I paid the exact same $$, but was forced to the " back of the Bus", if you will. We didn't like it, and didn't like hearing the lecture from some out-of-state bossy-type. I had lived here when we still payed State income taxes, and my taxes helped build that place. Oil money certainly helped after the pipeline came on line, but we were old-fashioned tax-payers then. Thus my attitude toward these people regressed, and is still a little jaded.

Most of us got totally fed up, starting harping on the borough to do something for the actual tax-paying people in the local area, and to thier credit they were instumental in getting the new launch finally built at the end of the road in partnership with the State.

I was completely unaware of the recent changes to local management of the State campground that you describe. That is certainly good news.

No- us "old Alaskans" aren't upity to newcomers, visitors, or summer tourists. Usually it's just the opposite. But I don't think I'm being prejudicial if I show a respected reverence toward other Alaskans who actually live here in this great land of ours. Visitors are nice, but Alaskans are my family...

Thumbs up History lesson

That was a good history lesson Mr. Bill. The only thing I think I would add is the fact that I was present several times when local cabin owners were in dispute about the parking rules. At that time there were volunteers each summer running the campground. No pay, just alot of work and pride went into their jobs. This I know because each year when my family and I were there would stay 7 to 10 days, a few times each season, and we took the time to introduce and get to know these camp managers.They all treated my boys like their own grand children. We still maintain close friendships with some of these people after 20 years. The problem was that the Park rules dictated where local people parked their rigs. This was because some people would unload their boat and park in a camping space for days at a time, making it unusable for others. It was a little walk (no further than Whittier) on a paved trail. All the campground hosts were doing was trying to enforce the rules that the state laid out for them. The sad thing is the times myself, wife and at the time, 3 small boys, frequently witnessed these local people verbally abuse and sometimes threaten to physically harm these older retired people, who were just there trying to do maintain something good for Alaskans.
    I did understand the feeling at the time, but there is a right way and wrong way of getting something done. Threatening people from the older generation who have done no wrong is definitely the wrong way.
    I would just ask that people be considerate of others out there in the places we love so much. Stop and think before you put names or brands on someone you know nothing about. Especially in a widely used forum such as this.
    Its not everyone... but as we all know...it only takes a few to make everyone look bad.