Thread: Whittier this weekend?

Default Whittier this weekend?

We're thinking of poking around in the sound this weekend, staying a night or two.
    Weather forecast not looking great, but that never stopped us from getting out.
    Any suggestions on best overnight anchorage within 20 to 30 miles south? Also, if weather goes to hell would Culross Passage be save haven?

PWS greenhorn

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have been in nasty stormy conditions outside of the giant island of Culross itself and in the passage its like a lake, narrow, well protected, I would bank on it for a safe haven! Try "Goose", it is a little pond like finger, it gets real narrow going into it then opens up into a neat little lake like setting. Good anchoring overnight!

Goose is inside Culross Passage closer to the Whittier side, check the chart its on the left as you travel down southerly.

Default Winter out there still

Went out yesterday, took the day off from work to go play in the weather break. Was cloudy but flat. NO BEARS OR TRACKS in the area I was in. The end of Ester Is. looked pretty sun baked but most parts were very deep with snow still. Some bays still frozen over. Way later spring so far than last year. Next weekend and there after should be picking up a lot. I was very surprised with the conditions, as three weekends ago it was very sunny and hot out there. Looked ever since the weather had stayed cool and cloudy. The humpies-whales were in. Seen two mateing and such, first time to see that in person right in port wells. Tons of very playfull dull porpoises, each group came and played. Was a negative 3.4 tide or so was expecting to see bears out searching for food,NO SUCH LUCK! Man it was a bummer. It got cooler in the early afternoon and started to rain, well light sprinkle. Shrimp are still doing good, 124 in a 5 hour soak. Might want to save the gas money and wait till next weekend, although if the weather does hold I might be back out, there has to be bears out somewhere.

goose bay is good, stayed there last Saturday night. south end picturesque cove is nice spot if wind is not blowing in from SE.
    north end has places on each side
    having a copy of Cruising Guide of PWS , west side is well worth the high price to help locate good anchorages. alot of good history of sound ,and lists many hazards.

I was in 5-6 footers trying to get to south end of Culross on Sat. noticed a "HULL INSPECTOR " 20 YARDS OFF starboard side, or less.
    12-15" diameter log on end bobbing 18" out of water and disappearing. They are always sooooo much fun to see esp. in rough conditions.
    sunday was forcasted to have 5 foot seas... we had 1 footers going back in to Whittier.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thanks for all the feedback, we had to stay in town do to dog health problems and son smashing his finger in the door. Turned out productive at home, took out some sod and built a boat pad with D1 beside the garage.
    So we’ll be heading out next weekend for sure.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.