Thread: Who's hunting Nelchina Caribou?

Default Who's hunting Nelchina Caribou?

Just curious. I know that today was opening day up there. I'm guessing the caribou must be close to the road, or not far from the road, as I already seen two nice set of caribou antlers on different trucks/four-wheeler trailers today in Wasilla at about 6 p.m.. Both still in velvet.

Default saw about 100

saw about 100 friday morning about 13 miles in from the swede lake entrance a large number of bulls and somebeautiful antlers saw some behing butchered so they are i9n there we werent hunting so no we didnt get any or we would have 4 but were not eligible to hunt those ones oh well maybe some day it will change good luck with them though

Ahhh...the time honored Nelchina subsistance trophy bull hunt. So...what kind of motorhomes did the ancients use?

Default nelchina caribou

We went in from Eureeka and saw many many hundred animals. We each took a bull on opening day and saw several larger ones. We busted our tail getting in as the trail back by flat creek was tough. WE camped, we hiked and we hunted hard. We did it the hard way! Amazing how fast the animals go as the second day of the season not an animal to be seen. they all were seen heading north. Great hunt. Chef

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK
    Ahhh...the time honored Nelchina subsistance trophy bull hunt. So...what kind of motorhomes did the ancients use?
    Very old ones.

Has anyone been up there this week? I'm trying to decide between Eureka caribou or 14A moose for the weekend. If I don't go this weekend, I'll probably hit the Denali Highway for Labor Day weekend.

-Brian

Mark

I haven't been yet. My plan is to go the Labor Day weekend. Last year we hunted the Butte Lake area. With the flooding situation on the Parks Hwy, as well as the western Denali Hwy, one of my hunting partners went via the Richardson Hwy to the Swede Lake area. I had checked the area out last year, fairly early in the season, and didn't even find sign. This year my friend found lots of them. There were several bands of 20 to 60 animals. This photo was taken last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images