Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grayling

Default grayling

Can anyone tell us when, where and how to catch a grayling? We live in Anch and have never caught one.

well you live in 600 miles away from Delta so it is probably not an option to come here .
    but if you ever come by this way i can take you on Clearwater River on a couple canous and gurrantee you will chatch one
    I usualy use some flys like muskqitose fly or other dull colors
    or if not using fly pole i will use a dull yellow jig on some 6lb line and that works too.
    what is awsome fishing here is you can see the fish come and bite your hook and that is the best part for me
    i often take people fishing here
    I am shure there is other awsome spots out there

Head towards the Denali Hwy in June. Bring lots of dry flies or size 0 spinners. Oh, and dont forget the strongest bug dope you can find. Grayling are easy to catch because they are voracious feeders and they love to eat dry flies. There are a few lakes here in Anchorage stocked with them too. Check the fish and Game web site for local lakes stocked with grayling. Beach lake is stocked and road accessable but it is helpful to have a canoe or raft. It is a 5 mile hike to Symphony Lake but I hear there are some nice large grayling in it too. Have fun.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Hike into Symphany Lake from Hiland Road in Eagle River. Its a 5 mile or so hike, not very steep in elevation. Most of the grayling are holed up in the lower pools to the lake. Small spinners work good.

Default Echo Symphany Lake

I've had several nice hikes in with my seven year old to catch grayling there, ulta light gear and tiny spinners. Wind can be tricky with the light gear. Parking available at the South Fork Eagle River park access off Highland Drive. Saw three nice bulls and several groups of
    ptarmigan
    on my last hike there last August. It is also much easier if you follow the trail markers through the boulder field just short of the lake.

I have caught some grayling on the willow early in the year like now using nymphs
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Grayling

Try Crescent and Fuller lake on the Kenai Peninsula. for an adventure call Talon Air in soldotna. He took me and my 2 son in laws, 2 grandsons and a nephew a couple years ago. We camped and fished for 4 days. Youngest grandson was 8 at the time. His personal best was 30 fish one day. Alan Helfer of Talon is a great pilot for hunting and fishing.

I second Fuller lake and Crescent on the Peninsula both have hikes to them, I feel both are fairly easy, Fuller lake seems to be about 2 miles but steeper and Crescent is about 7 miles but you can bike it easily and it is a great trip.

While dry flies are great most of the time (and certainly the most fun way to target grayling), if you're fishing over a deep hole and not getting strikes, try a fly with a weighted head. Just a little bit of weight will go a long ways towards getting the fly down to the grayling that might be holding at the bottom of the pool or under a cut bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Hey Brian, I've pulled grayling out of that exact same hole. Let's just hope no one else knows its whereabouts

P.S. will be fishing that hole in 2 1/2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    P.S. will be fishing that hole in 2 1/2 weeks!
    I might see you there! We've hit it over the past two Memorial Day weekends. With my wife due any day now, I'm not sure we'll be going so soon, but I still hold naive dreams that it might be possible.

Try Canoe Lake in the Kepler-Bradley Lakes area near Palmer. Bead head nymphs work best this time of year.

I'm arriving in Anchorage June11. Guided salmon morning of 12th Seward that evening to butt charters 13th & 14th .Then back to ANc and picked up for five days of hunting near Mt Susitna. Is there any possibility of fishing for/ catching a grayling while I'm up there. I like to put forth a effort to cacth anything I've never caught before. My last Ak trip was a bust. Illegal guide(WABA Wally Dean Jackson, He's still in jail)and bad weather made it a sightseeing trip.

Default crescent is closed

Untill 1 july. You could get in deep doo doo
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Those pictures are absolutely great Brian, one of the coolest looking places I've seen- gonna have to go their sometime in my lifetime

I've pulled grayling out of that hole myself Brian...about 30 years ago! Nice to see it still looks the same.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I've pulled grayling out of that hole myself Brian...about 30 years ago! Nice to see it still looks the same.
    I hope it still looks that way in 30 more years, as I want to have a retirement place over there.

BM
    So that is what you look like with a smile:-)
    You should change your avatar, you look too mean.

Take a week in late June and drive the Denali Highway. Fish any water you see along the road (with the exception of the big glacial river) and you should catch grayling. End your trip at tangle lakes and fish the river and you will think you died and went to heaven.
    Bring along about 100 size 12 bead head pheasant tail nymphs, 100 size 14 elk hair caddis, and 100 size 12 adams. At the end of the week you should be out of flies!

WABA Wally Dean Jackson, He's still in jail
    Been out for a year now and what I heard, as scary as it sounds, he's getting back into the business.

Brian thats an awesome pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast