Thread: eklutna conditions?

Default eklutna conditions?

Was thinking of taking the wheelers up there sun or mon. Anyone been up there lately to know the condition of the trail? Have to go somewhere, I am going nuts! Thanks

http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=13.0

Apparently it's open clear to the end.

Eklutna has been ridable for a month and a half. I took the Rhino up there about six weeks ago. The trail was slick in a few places but manageable for adult riders. At the end of the lake there was an avalanche that came across the road. I took the Rhino right over it and to the end of the trail. It was a great ride. All the snow should be gone by now. Go and enjoy! Don't let the weather stop you...we have been riding since early Feb.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I have been out at bird a few times in feb/march. Just wanted to go somewhere besides jim creek. Thanks for the info!

What days can you ride at Eklutna? Is it still Sun-Wed? Can you hunt black bear there? Sorry for the hijak, but inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    What days can you ride at Eklutna? Is it still Sun-Wed? Can you hunt black bear there? Sorry for the hijak, but inquiring minds want to know.
    Yes its still sun-wed. As to the bears, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Can you hunt black bear there?
    Yes, you can hunt black bear there. Off the top of my head, though, I seem to recall that it is archery-only. Check the regs to be sure.

Thumbs up Black Bear

Open to ATVs - Sun - Wed
    Used to be that you need Snowmobile Registration for your ATV on state park/national park lands. Can't find if this is still true.

Page 69, Unit 14C: Black Bear - Archery Only, Open from 4 Sep - 31 May; one Bear

Bear Bait is prohibited in 14C

Sounds like a little bowhunt/camping trip with my daughter might be in order

Default Eklutna

Rode this last weekend. 12.7 in and then you have to hike up to the glacier. The trail is great for taking a family ride or maybe doing a black bear hunting/camping trip. The trail is wide enough to be a road (2 lanes in most places) and there are no muddy or rough spots. Simple beginner ride with awesome views!

It "was" a road back in the day Somewhere I have some pics from my grandpa taken along the road by the lake.

Eklutna is definately one of the best places to take the kids and not worry about some drunken idiot running them over.

Thanks for the info. I think I will go this Monday.

[quote=Stogey;266014]Open to ATVs - Sun - Wed
    Used to be that you need Snowmobile Registration for your ATV on state park/national park lands. Can't find if this is still true.

My husband has one when he purchased his used machine. Mine doesn't have one. Does anybody know if I need to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    My husband has one when he purchased his used machine. Mine doesn't have one. Does anybody know if I need to get one.
    The only time that state snowmachine permits might be required (it's open to some debate) is if you are riding it on state-groomed snowmachine trails. For times like now, when the snow is gone and they aren't grooming it, you're perfectly legal riding your ATV on the trail Sunday through Wednesday.

You do, however, have to pay to park at Eklutna, so either have the window sticker, or pay the daily fee when you get there. I've seen the rangers check and ticket parked vehicles.

I have ridden at Eklutna several times each season over the last 10 years. I have never had a ranger ask me for registration. The rangers even came over to talk to me about my Rhino when I took it up there last May. They want to get some. They never once hassled me about paperwork. They will write you a ticket if you don't pay for parking though. The cost is $5.00 per day. Park in the parking lot on the left, right past the ranger shack at the entrance. Much easier to park if you have a trailer. I usually park right next to the large ranger station in the parking lot. They always come out and say hello. Make sure you display your parking stub in the window of your vehicle so it can be seen.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/