Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Mine

Default Buffalo Mine

What is the deal with the private property, no trespassing signs at the bridge and further back? Is this area private property? Went up there last weekend and my friend said that they weren't there the last time he was there.

Thanks

Was always state land past the bridge. We had a wood lot from the State back in the mid 80's. Unless someone is trying to keep people out or a Native allotment. Could also be they a going to develop the mine back there. They did a lot of drilling and enviro study for a open pit coal mine in the early 90's.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by higherelevation View Post
    What is the deal with the private property, no trespassing signs at the bridge and further back? Is this area private property? Went up there last weekend and my friend said that they weren't there the last time he was there.

Thanks
    There is no Buffalo Mine bridge anymore. It's been a few years since it was removed. You were on the wrong trail and bridge, the one you were on IS private property. The Buffalo mine bridge trail is one mile further up and on the other side of the road.

I was asking a friend about the private property up there and he told me about the bridge being gone. How do you get in there now?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

We took the dirt road to the end. It switched back on us and there was a red steel bridge with a gate across it.

Quote Originally Posted by higherelevation View Post
    We took the dirt road to the end. It switched back on us and there was a red steel bridge with a gate across it.
    Been a lot of years since I was there and my directions might be bad. BUT THE Buffalo mine bridge is gone, that I'm sure of Since 2005 when DNR tore it down. The bridge you saw is the one that goes to wishbone lake I believe. Maybe not a private bridge but the land immediatly across the bridge is private with no public easement.
    It's still possible to cross the river a little ways down from where the Buffalo mine bridge used to be and continue down the trail.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    There is no Buffalo Mine bridge anymore. It's been a few years since it was removed. You were on the wrong trail and bridge, the one you were on IS private property. The Buffalo mine bridge trail is one mile further up and on the other side of the road.
    There is also a very old grazing lease in Moose Creek valley above the old Premier Mine access area to Wishbone Lake. At one time there was a "bridge" which was an old ARR flatcar laid across the creek. There is now a gate across the road well before you'd reach that, and the area is well marked.

There is a private bridge across Moose creek and its posted as such, and DOT/DNR did remove the old rail car bridge that was the primary access to the Moose Range from the West side. ADF&G, USF&W & Chickaloon are working on replacing that bridge. The plan is for a single lane, full sized bridge, but its technically not on a borough or state maintained road, so its been difficult to proceed, although we are, albeit slowly.

Now I have a report that there is some "new" bridge, made of felled timbers, somewhere downstream of the old railcar bridge.. Not sure what the deal is with that, waiting on pictures and Lat/Long to follow up on it.

OHMP has issued a general permit to cross the moose creek at the old railcar site the last few years, but I forget what the time period on it was, not sure if it was just during hunting season or all summer long.

Thumbs down Crossing Rivers/Streams/Creeks

It's still possible to cross the river a little ways down from where the Buffalo mine bridge used to be and continue down the trail.
    Another one to watch out for...

Page 4 Southcentral Fishing Regs:
    "It is unlawful to operate a motorized or tracked vehicle without a valid Fish Habitat permit, in or across waters where salmon, trout, dolly varden, arctic char, sheefish or whitefish spawn, rear or migrate."

By my recollection... that's just about any body of water in the state.

Just another way to get an easy ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Another one to watch out for...

Page 4 Southcentral Fishing Regs:
    "It is unlawful to operate a motorized or tracked vehicle without a valid Fish Habitat permit, in or across waters where salmon, trout, dolly varden, arctic char, sheefish or whitefish spawn, rear or migrate."

By my recollection... that's just about any body of water in the state.

Just another way to get an easy ticket.
    Read the post above yours, there's a PERMIT on file.

Read the post above yours, there's a PERMIT on file.

Sometimes, and I do not know off hand what the time period of it is, be sure to check for yourself at the OHMP office in Palmer.

the land that you are refering to is privatley owned and has been for some time now. i am one of the land owners please respect our request and stay out. the road that has the green gate with the signs is lived in year round by myself and family members it is our home. the land across the creek is also privatly owned and inhabited much of the time. just becuase " it used to be state land" and " i have hunted back there for years" dosent mean it still is or you still can. Thank you for asking before just going on to private land.

Default Crossing Permit

Last time I looked on the DNR website the crossing permit was for all year. The crossing is right next to the removed bridge. Their website lists all salmon stream crossing permits across the state.

Thanks AKFJ40 for the information. My friends and I wanted to make sure before we entered.

Thumbs up

anytime, thanks for asking

I dont know why people got to be like that.
    keep out, its mine. mine, all mine.
    I'll bet they only sold you that front chunk of property to make you the states little watch dog.
    hows it feel? and then barking at people on the net. (knods head)
    you should be out appreciating the history your responsible for bogarding instead.

Quote Originally Posted by overgrown View Post
    I dont know why people got to be like that.
    I'll bet they only sold you that front chunk of property to make you the states little watch dog.
    you should be out appreciating the history your responsible for bogarding instead.
    Are you serious? One of the basic tenants of living in this country is the right to privacy and to own your own land/home. Having a little place on Earth where no one else can tell you what you must do. The rights of a private land owner should be observed by everyone...including the state and federal government. I thank akfj40 for his responses on this thread. He handled this situation properly and was just attempting to inform folks that he owned the land in question. To go on private land, without permission is called "Trespassing". It is illegal in any state you live in. I don't see how you could even say anything negative about privately owned land...unless you have never owned property yourself. Maybe you don't understand what it means to be a land owner. Akfj40 made his "HOME" on this land. That is where his family lives...not vacations or visits...but LIVES!!! He has every right to decide what is acceptable or not acceptable activity on HIS land. He is not being a watchdog for anyone except is own family. Put yourself in his position. How would it feel if random strangers drove through your yard or walked through your house without regard to you, the property owner?

One other thing, I see this is your first post. Maybe you might want to hang around and get to know the folks on this forum before you start posting. You will find out quickly that your statement is not in line with 99.99% of the folks on here.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Dang, I've been waiting for Fidel Castro to die for 50 some years. Now he's making random posts on the innernet

dont know why people got to be like that.
    Mind your own business. It was a question that a man asked and we all politely gave our awnsers and FACTS. the thread has been dead for days dont try and start a pissing match over private land issues you wont win. there are alot of people on here that feel the same way i do. would you like me to walk into your place unanounced?!

Thanks for the support muddy!

whatever, look at you still trying to tell people what to do. even on this site. I think you must like that kind of stuff. this aint your thread and I dont take orders from you.

you building your house right in front of the only access to that valley is my buisness. like some have stated that land has been used by others long before you moved in and hung your signs.

duhh its private. like I need a lecture on the definition. its a little different here. how would you feel if they sold the front 5 miles of Denali park to build houses on. put up signs keeping you and everyone else out of the back 100's of acres.

jus a little easment would have been nice. nobodies interested in you or your property, its whats behind it. ew, thats so evil of me.

what do I care how 99% of you feel about this.
    I checked the law and its not a crime to speak my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast