Thread: Hip Waders Repair

Default Hip Waders Repair

I have a pair of hip waders that have some very small holes in the legs, that let water in. I can't even tell where the holes are, they are so small.

Does anyone have suggestions for finding and patching these small pin holes? Possibly some type of silicone or something on the inside?

soon to be back in Alaska

Turn them inside out and hang a light inside them, while in a dark room. Anywhere you see light through your waiders mark with a permanent marker. Then use seam seal or a patch or any other method you choose to patch them.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Eagle River Alaska, United States,

Default repair

If the light trick doesn't work, fill your bath tub full of water, submerge them and roll them down from the top and look for bubbles. I usually put a patch on the inside and on the outside to be sure. You can buy a patch kit about anywhere, just make sure you get one made for the type of material you have.

Default repair hip boots

In bright sunlight, fill the boot with water from a hose. Be careful not to spill any water on the outside of the boot. At each leaky spot, water will seep from the inside to the outside of the boot. Mark the leak(s).

Thoroughly dry the hip boots. Then apply a standard patch over the leak. If the boots are rubber, this is the same procedure as patching a bicycle inner tube. If possible, lay the boot flat and put a heavy flat weight over the patch (e.g. a chunk of plywood with a heavy rock on it) while the glue dries. This helps the glue bond to the boot.

After the glue for the patch is completely dry, put a coating of Aquaseal over the patch. Apply the Aquaseal not only on the patch, but also extending out onto the boot. This helps keep the corners of the patch from curling up and loosening over time.

Good luck.

Spray soapy water on the outside and then use and air hose to inflate them some. Becareful not to over inflate.

a piece of wax paper over the seam sealer, aqua seal, shoe goo etc. before applying the weight helps to smooth the stuff out and it doesn't stick to the weight you put on it, thus pulling up the edges of the patch. Over a short amount of time it rubs off.

Eagle River

Thumbs up Cool tips - here's one more from Simms...

Repairing Your Simms GORE-TEX® Waders

Tears, punctures and pinholes do happen. Luckily, GORE-TEX® waders are easy to repair. 1) Turn waders inside out. 2) Apply rubbing alcohol to suspect area. Leaks will show as dark gray spots. 3) Immediately apply AquaSeal® to the area and cure for six hours. Please note: this method will not work on seam leaks. If you think you have a seam leak, call 406-585-3557 for information on returning your waders for repair.

Sometimes my only clue is that a certain body part keeps getting wet from my waders. So I have "prospected" large areas of waders using this method, successfully although I still find seams leaks tough to seal. Cool tips in this thread.

Good luck.