Thread: Tire Slime

Default Tire Slime

I want to get some Slime to carry on my ATV, for emergencies.

I called a couple of dealers as to how much slime is required for an ATV tire and got a lot of different answers.

Can you guys tell me how much slime do you carry, how many tires it will do and what size bottles is the best to get.

Thanks

Walmart sells it in gallon size. Cheapest I found and I did all four tires. Haven't had any issues at all.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    I want to get some Slime to carry on my ATV, for emergencies.

I called a couple of dealers as to how much slime is required for an ATV tire and got a lot of different answers.

Can you guys tell me how much slime do you carry, how many tires it will do and what size bottles is the best to get.

Thanks
    Waste of money to buy a gallon and slime all your tires as some sort of preventive maintance. It also screws up the balance on tire, that glob acts like a floating counterweight inside the tire. It only works on little leaks and is best for a rim leak. You still need to carry a plug kit to fix tire holes. I've never had to use slime in an atv tire, a couple times in my overloaded meat wagons. Buy one of those small bottles to carry with you in case of small leak. They will do two tires.
    Also your in for one big mess when you change tires someday if they're slimed.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Waste of money to buy a gallon and slime all your tires as some sort of preventive maintenance. It also screws up the balance on tire, that glob acts like a floating counterweight inside the tire. It only works on little leaks and is best for a rim leak. You still need to carry a plug kit to fix tire holes. I've never had to use slime in an atv tire, a couple times in my overloaded meat wagons. Buy one of those small bottles to carry with you in case of small leak. They will do two tires.
    I have had all my Rhino tires slimed for the last 8 months. No issues with balance. Jack up the Rhino and spin the tires. They spin just like they are stock. You might get some balance issues if you dump a lot in the tires but that is not required. Additionally, I used the water based slime. Just take a water hose to the whole thing when you have to change the tires. Takes care of all the slime in an instant. Helps with the mess!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    I have had all my Rhino tires slimed for the last 8 months. No issues with balance. Jack up the Rhino and spin the tires. They spin just like they are stock. You might get some balance issues if you dump a lot in the tires but that is not required. Additionally, I used the water based slime. Just take a water hose to the whole thing when you have to change the tires. Takes care of all the slime in an instant. Helps with the mess!
    Still a waste of money. If it made sense for an atv then it's makes sense to slime all your truck and car tires also.

Waste of money to buy a gallon and slime all your tires as some sort of preventive maintance. It also screws up the balance on tire, that glob acts like a floating counterweight inside the tire. It only works on little leaks and is best for a rim leak. You still need to carry a plug kit to fix tire holes. I've never had to use slime in an atv tire, a couple times in my overloaded meat wagons. Buy one of those small bottles to carry with you in case of small leak. They will do two tires.
    Actually, it does just the opposite. Slime and some of the other sealants spread out over the inside of the tire at decent speeds and help balance the tires. This was a trick myself and many of my buddies used when I was into rock crawling back in South Dakota. Off road and ATV tires are notoriously tough to balance and the ride to the trail was miserable until we learned this little secret. It is also really easy to clean out with just a garden hose when its time to change a tire. I agree that it doesnt work to plug a very big hole, but thats what the plug kits are for. The only downfall for slime is that it is somewhat corrosive and is not the best sealant available. If you have it in a tire for long time it will rust the heck out of the rim. Tru goo is a much better sealant, just as easy to clean up, balances your tires nicely at speed and is not at all corrosive. Its about the same price as slime as well, but not as available. Not sure if it is sold up here or if you would have to order it.

Still a waste of money. If it made sense for an atv then it's makes sense to slime all your truck and car tires also.
    If you take your truck in the same places you take your ATV it does make sense! We did it all the time and saved a ton of flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Actually, it does just the opposite. Slime and some of the other sealants spread out over the inside of the tire at decent speeds and help balance the tires. This was a trick myself and many of my buddies used when I was into rock crawling back in South Dakota. Off road and ATV tires are notoriously tough to balance and the ride to the trail was miserable until we learned this little secret. It is also really easy to clean out with just a garden hose when its time to change a tire. I agree that it doesnt work to plug a very big hole, but thats what the plug kits are for. The only downfall for slime is that it is somewhat corrosive and is not the best sealant available. If you have it in a tire for long time it will rust the heck out of the rim. Tru goo is a much better sealant, just as easy to clean up, balances your tires nicely at speed and is not at all corrosive. Its about the same price as slime as well, but not as available. Not sure if it is sold up here or if you would have to order it.

If you take your truck in the same places you take your ATV it does make sense! We did it all the time and saved a ton of flats.
    These guys are talking about dumping a quart in each atv tire. It says right on the bottle "Over dosage is the most common cause of vibration!" It also says "ANY AMOUNT "exaggerates" any balance problems. NO WAY these tires work better full of slime. This stuff sold up here at napa and walmart IS corrosion resistant. It's also posionous- made from ethylene glycol.
    Fill your highway cars and trucks up also while your at it and never worry about flats.

These guys are talking about dumping a quart in each atv tire. It says right on the bottle "Over dosage is the most common cause of vibration!" It also says "ANY AMOUNT "exaggerates" any balance problems. NO WAY these tires work better full of slime. This stuff sold up here at napa and walmart IS corrosion resistant. It's also posionous- made from ethylene glycol.
    Fill your highway cars and trucks up also while your at it and never worry about flats.
    The only experience I have with slime was replacing a set of tires on a buddy's jeep several years ago. He was running steel rims with the same "corrosion resistant slime" and he had to buy a new set of rims. I do have years of experience running the tru goo in our rock crawlers though, and it completely eliminated the vibration from chewed up out of balance swampers at highway speeds. IT WORKS very well!!! Alot of old timers and truck drivers run straight glycol in their rigs for the same purpose! As for the slime, I guess thats one more reason to run the Tru Goo. Ill let you run it in your commuter!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Don't forget that miniture tire pump to go along w the plug kit, you may not be able to fix it fast enough even if you did suspect the leak before it went flat.

I use a brand of plug called "Safety Seal", you can get it at 6-Robblees (sp). I've patched at least one tire for each set of every vehicle I've owned, accept for my latest wheeler but I still take it w/ me wherever I go. This plug kit is good for large holes where you need to use more than one plug to fix the hole as well. Three plugs is the most I've used for a single hole, don't know how many I could use but three worked just fine.

When I got a used atv I noticed a slow leak in a couple of the tires. I put a little slime in there and haven't had to pump them up again, agree it probably won't seal anything big though.