Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt with guide BRWNBR

Thumbs up My Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt with guide BRWNBR

I just finished my Kodiak Brown Bear hunt with guide BRWNBR (a.k.a. Jake). The hunt was a Permit Hunt DB103. I was very fortunate to take a boar that went 10’- 0” with a 26 – 14/16” skull. The boar had a truly exceptional hide, very thick and chocolate brown with zero rubs.

I spotted the boar courting a sow on the second day of a scheduled ten day hunt. Due to unfavorable wind direction, our stalk ended at 500 yards with the pair topping a ridge looking over their shoulder at us. On Day 3, we hiked back to the area that we thought the pair might be holding up. As sometimes luck goes, the pair came out of the brush at 1:30pm and at 6pm after the bears finished their nap and we closed in to 200 yards, the boar took 2 shots from my 300 win mag (200 gr. noz. part.) No back-up needed from Jake’s 416 Rigby!

This was my third successful hunt with Jake in as many tries (Grizzly bear in 2005, Mountain Goat in 2006). Overall guiding experience, set-up, and equipment were outstanding.

I also found the folks at the Kodiak – Alaska Game and Fish office to be very friendly and easy to work with to obtain the locking tag /permit and check the bear in after the hunt.

Below are a few photos from the hunt.

Default Wow

Real nice bear!

Default Congrats

Nice going, and congrats on a great bear! That's a big head on that guy, and the coat looks really thick in the pictures. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to you and Jake for a memorable hunt.

Jake - based on your last three hunts, I hereby submit to the Forum that we anoint you with a nickname - how about "Next of the Great Brown Bear Men?" (no disrespect to Hal and Bill, the original GBBM)

Great Bear Tex, again another job well done Jake.

Good On Ya!!!

Steve

Default Great bear

Nice bear! Congradulations. Have you decided how you are going to mount him?

Great job Jake.

ps. are you feeding those big bears something special down at your game ranch?

Default Mount

The number of form options are not many for big bears. I would like to showcase the best feature which is the hide so most likely stepping down an incline and perhaps about to grab a lifesize blacktail.

Jake, you got to stop killing those dink bears man!!! Just kidding of course.....congrats to you both on a great bear!!

Default Nice Bear

OK JAKE ! Save some of the big ones for everybody else. I thought your ULA was a 416 REM. Didn't know it was a Rigby caliber.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Wow

Nice bear!

Jake way to go. BTW if anyone from the ADN calls hang up quick!

Default Beautiful

Thats a bear worthy a mount! Impressive for sure. I hope your family will forever appreciate that bruin.

Exceptional skills displayed again Jake!

its is a remington, you know clients and their memories...geez and from tex taboot!!! thanks for the pics TX!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thought So

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    its is a remington, you know clients and their memories...geez and from tex taboot!!! thanks for the pics TX!!
    I thought it was a 416 Remington that made your butt look big !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Congrats to both hunter and guide great pictures beautiful looking bear and hide, go with the lifesize mount.

Am I wrong or do you have a 10' average with the three bears I have seen posted on here. You might think about calling it quits I can't imagine your average going up! Congrats on ANOTHER great bear!

thanks guys, i gotta say though this was probably only my third bear ever that the client spotted first, TX did a great job using his optics, always nice to have a client effectively participate! he did a great job and put the lead were we wanted it, it was over quick.
    Ya i guess that does do about a 10 foot average...ride the wave till it hits the beach they say...right place right time and i think we've been blessed with what Gods put in our paths these last three hunts, its been great. glad you all can enjoy the pics with us!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Only a LITTLE envious...

Congrat's, fellas!

Taylor

Nice work guys!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Awesome bear

Congratulations to both hunter and guide.

I hope I have kept my envy hidden ;-)

oz
    il vaut mieux ętre bon que la chance

Great bear TX! Huge congrats to you.

My hats off to you Jake, I'm impressed at all of the trophy critters you get your clients on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast