Thread: Spots for Pacific Cod from the shore.

Default Spots for Pacific Cod from the shore.

Folks, I love to fish for it all but my wife will eat nothing but cod. Not to say that I don't like it myself but we'd like to put some in the freezer. I live in Anchorage and am looking for shore spots that are the closest. My onsite search for cod wasn't productive but I recall a thread about bankfishing near the Seward sealife center using a large sinker and "trollying" the bait down to it via a swivel and leader. We did this often while crabbing off jetties in OR where I grew up but always lost the fish due to too light of line. Any direction on spots and gear would be greatly appreciated.

i use to catch alot of cod on shore in seward. you pick up halibut, salmon and rock fish depending where you are. if you go out on jetty near the coal shute you will pick up alot of cod if it sits to long on bottom you will pick up large star fish. have picked up cod off the docks when jigging for bait. best spot i have found is to the left side of the sea life center. its not real rocky but you never know what you will hook into. hope you have good luck there let me know how you do. jeff

They might be better fished in the winter, when they're spawning. I've found as the water temp rises they get wormy, in a big way. Fun to catch and make great bait; but when you fillet them you'll see what I mean about the worms. Good luck, I'm not trying to discourage you, but just a heads up! Try the end of the Homer Spit where the fish grinder outlet is. Lots of pollock, cod, and all sorts of fun shore fishing!!!