Thread: Splash shield hull design for a cataraft

Lightbulb Splash shield hull design for a cataraft

Splash shield hull design for a cataraft.Does anyone have a good working model thats been built and tested. I want to put a 35 hp outboard on mine. I now there is some out there, but I'd like a good one that works rather then going through all the trials and mistakes. May be something with a slight V. Pictures would be nice to see. I have an Aire Leopard now.Thanks for any input.
    Denny

I have made windshields for my boats and for some other boats, not sure of what you need but I would be willing to look at what you want and help you design and build one.

I think it's cheaper & easier to buy everyone a new drysuit, and just plan on getting wet. But then, I do admit to being cynical on this issue.

The water pressure seems to push the tubes wider than anything you put down there, so it's been pretty difficult to find an easy solution, and it's not like a lot of research hasn't gone into it already. The solutions that work best aren't simple, and they are still flawed.

I know Mike Strahan has some good experience with this, and he hinted recently of an idea that he's pretty sure will work. Perhaps you can extract it from him.

Thanks I don't need a Windshield. The spash shield I'm looking for is to help the raft get on steep with an outboard create less spash from in side help keep it from cavitation. I 've seen some that mesh up and lash to the top of the tube that keeps most all the water out like Alaska Raft has that allow the tubes to move, but I thought with all the people whom have tried there would be a better system.
    I seen one years ago, but it was heavy and may be hard to take off.
    I'm still interested heavy hard or not. What ever you may have and it may go into the planning.

Default Cataraft spray shields

Hi there,

I have been involved in rigging catarafts for running with outboard motors and may be able to help. But my best advice is to talk to the folks at Alaska Raft and Kayak in Anchorage. They rig cats for outboards there and are very familiar with spray shield technology.

Different cats require different rigging.

This whole business is in its infancy and I expect to see many changes in the next few years until someone comes up with a simple, elegant solution.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

This whole business is in its infancy and I expect to see many changes in the next few years until someone comes up with a simple, elegant solution.
    Any ideas what form the solutions might appear in?

I've never gotten to try this, but have always been interested about how they perform?

What do you think is the primary issue(s) with your "avg" cat set up?

Tube shape not conductive to letting the boat get on plane? Seems the most common complaint is that they plow water when you do anything but chug along slowly?

What about a rigid cat tube with a more hydro-dynamic shape?

Of course you lose the benefits of inflatable tubes to be able to fly in the boat. But ya may not always be able to optimize a craft for every possible use...

Default spray shields for cats

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Any ideas what form the solutions might appear in?

I've never gotten to try this, but have always been interested about how they perform?

What do you think is the primary issue(s) with your "avg" cat set up?

Tube shape not conductive to letting the boat get on plane? Seems the most common complaint is that they plow water when you do anything but chug along slowly?

What about a rigid cat tube with a more hydro-dynamic shape?

Of course you lose the benefits of inflatable tubes to be able to fly in the boat. But ya may not always be able to optimize a craft for every possible use...
    Tube optimization may be one direction to go, but another is to just make the existing tubes work. The main issue is controlling the wake generated by each tube as it is pushed through the water. But in addition to the spray issue you have to flatten out the water column as it approaches the lower unit of your motor, hopefully enough to push the air out of it do you don't cavitate. Finding a system that does both well is the real challenge. You have to get a good seal where the shield meets the tubes, and you have to get the height right. Not an easy task!

There are other issues, for sure, but these are two of the main ones.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay