Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Bait

Default Shrimp Bait

I have been searching around for posts on good shrimp bait. So far it seems like anything edible is fair game:
    wet/dry dog/cat food
    halibut
    salmon
    herring
    ect....
    Has anyone found anything that doesn't work. I have been using halibut parts with no luck. Just want to make sure it's my locations and not my bait.

All of the above are fine. Halibut carcasses likely won't be as good as salmon carcasses or herring, though, as they're not as oily. It's all about the scent, and some fish are more oily and thus more stinky than others.

I over heard alfonzo at b&j explaining the best baiting method that has worked for him
    1. on the bottom of the jar use an absorbant pad soaked in herring oil
    2. on top of the pad use shreaded herring bits
    3. on top of the herring use prawn bait pellets and fill to half way mark of jar to leave room for expansion of pellets and then let sit and check every 6 hrs.

Default Soak time.

Is there any real benefit to leaving them soaking for up to 3 days or is there a better chance of samething going wrong in that time. It seems like alot of folks around here don't wait more than a few hours. Unfortunately my pots are a ways away so this is not much of an option.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Is there any real benefit to leaving them soaking for up to 3 days or is there a better chance of samething going wrong in that time. It seems like alot of folks around here don't wait more than a few hours. Unfortunately my pots are a ways away so this is not much of an option.
    Once the bait is gone there is no reason for them to stick around. If you are doing long soaks use bait like pellets that last a long time even though they will probably still run out of oil. Personally I have soaked everywhere from 2.5 hours to 18 hours in the same spot. The 2.5 hour pull yielded 250 shrimp and the 18 hour pull yielded about 230. This was using pellets for biat and there were still some left. All that to say I have done just as good on my 4 hour pulls as I have my 12 hour pulls. Based on my experiances.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

****....I was all happy when I got 6 after soaking all night. I am using pellets and a ton of halibut bits from the processors. Hopefully I will have some luck.

Default day or night

I have done soaks in the same location checking them in the morning and at night. The morning check is always better. Sometimes as much as 10 times better. Another thing I have found is worth the pay off is searching for a good spot. Just going out and throwing pots over anywhere will usually leave you empty handed. Spend some time looking for underwater structure or rock slides that carry out over a drop off and stratigically place you traps.
    2007 Ocean Pro HT/ET, 150 Yamaha, Valdez,Ak, "Un-Reel"

Last year I used dry cat food soaked in bacon greese. The bacon grease stopped the cat food from melting away so fast and I'm sure it added some attractant to the Meow Mix. I uasually had half a bait can full left after a 24hr soak. Averaged 30-50 shrimp/pull (Yakutat area).

TL

Default Up until the

cleaning tables open I used canned chicken cat or dog food. Once the tables open it is 1. Rock fish. 2. Ling Cod. 3. Salmon or halibut.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

****....I was all happy when I got 6 after soaking all night. I am using pellets and a ton of halibut bits from the processors. Hopefully I will have some luck.
    #1 Find some good bottom
    #2 feed the halibut bits to the seagulls
    #3 just use the pellets
    follow this and you should do better !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm a newbe. What kind of pellets are you guys using?

Quote Originally Posted by Utahhunter View Post
    I'm a newbe. What kind of pellets are you guys using?
    go to donalsons, they'll fix you up

"Super Bait" pellets use them just as they are no need to add any fish or herring oils
    P5060140.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

We did extremely well this past weekend (4 days). Used some left over pellets from B&J's along with salmon carcasses from last year followed up by the Potbuilders pellets when the rest was used up. What I noticed different between pulls during the day vs over night were the shrimp from the overnight pulls seemed to be all large vs a mix from the shorter day pulls. I assume that would be because they weren't able to get out as easy as the smaller ones after the bait had been eaten. On sunday we pulled our pots and reset them knowing that we would be leaving in an hour or 2. Tried a slightly different spot with 2 pots and ended up pulling them in under an hour with 77 shrimp using only the Potbuilders pellets. I can't say that either of the baits worked any better or worse, they all worked. The pellets are alot less messy though. Only reason I bought pellets was because I'm out of hooligan which also works Location is for sure key to lots of shrimp.

I had some luck last night. I left my pot out for about a week and a half while my boat was getting worked on. Pulled up a heep of shrimp. Had enough to overflow a plastic grocery bag from just my one pot. My pots from Pot Builder should be here this week and then it's beck out to try my luck again. Will post pics soon.

Pot Builder, how much of the pellets are you putting in each pot when you drop them?

I'm cheap so I use cat food.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Chicken

Chicken dog or cat food. $1.29 for the large can.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Is there anything that you have found that does NOT work? I'm wondering if something like a cut up octopus would turn them away because it smells like a natural predator. Just thinking out loud here.

Cut octopus does not work.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I had some luck last night. I left my pot out for about a week and a half while my boat was getting worked on. Pulled up a heep of shrimp. Had enough to overflow a plastic grocery bag from just my one pot. My pots from Pot Builder should be here this week and then it's beck out to try my luck again. Will post pics soon.

Pot Builder, how much of the pellets are you putting in each pot when you drop them?
    2-3 good handfuls in a jar. Add as needed

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast