Thread: george lake

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default george lake

have been studying up on george lake a bit for some pike fishing this summer. i am wondering if i can even get in there with my boat. can a 21 foot inboard jet make it through the channel to the lake? how bad is the launch in the tanana?

The boat launch isnt to bad. Can get a little tricky depending on the water. Your boat is on the big side of going in if the water is low but I've seen bigger in there!! Talk to Granite Mountain Sports before you head in to see the creek water level. Once in the mouth of the creek, Shut your motor off and listen for other boats coming down. There is another place a couple miles up to shut down and listen. Once committed, it is a real narrow twisty streach. But.......Fishin is real bad and the scenery sucks so I cant really see the point of going through all that trouble to get in there

I love to fish at George lake. If you are not used launching right into the main current of a river than be prepared. My first trip down there with my daughter I almost turned arond and did not launch. I have no problem lauching into the main current of the Yukon. They did fix the ramp up a couple of years ago so now the bottom is not dirt. The sign says a 4wheel drve only ramp and that is the only way I would try it. As for the size of the boat I have been told that only a couple of weeks of the year the big boats make it in. The fishing can be good depending upon the time of year that you go.

Watch for the stop and listen sign at the rock wall. There is a rock hiding just under the water so you clip it if you come off step too early. So I've heard First time in there I specifically asked a friend about any and all hazards. When we got to the lake and I brought up the rock, he said oh yeah that too!! I've also heard stories of guys with big inboards trying it after high water and it takes a while to pull the boat back to the Tanana

If youve never run george before I wouldnt try it in a big IB. I run it alot with an 18' OB and its a handfull past the halfway point. I know the route really good and I wouldnt run it in a boat that big. Maybe there are some hard cases that can but I dont think its worth the risk. Its not the ability to run shallow thats the trouble. Its the ability to make two super tight turns. There is one section past the halfway point that maybe consists of 200 yards that puts me on the gravel more often than Id like to admit. Maybe you would get away with it in the spring but theres awful skinny water in that slough, in a couple of places.

Forgot to mention the ramp. Its fun. I like to use two guys, one to back the truck and the other in the boat. You have to angle downstream ALOT and theres a big hump of concrete in the ramp. I come within inches of getting water over the transom every time. I got a buddy who almost lost his boat there. That ramp is a "beaotch". Its a long walk to delta if you lose your transfer case there while loading too. Not that id know anything about it.;-)

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default thanks

for the replies guys. i think ill go in with someone that has done it before with a smaller boat and see for myself before i attempt anything like that. sure would hate to be stuck in the middle of that slough from the sounds of it.