Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .340 Weatherby Mag. opinons.

Default .340 Weatherby Mag. opinons.

My local gun dealer has a mint used Weatherby Mark V Sporter Deluxe in .340 Weatherby Mag. Says made in Japan

I will be hunting moose and black bear in Northern Ontario. I also have hunts planned when I retire in 6 years.

I was planning on a Remington .30 ultra mag but this .340 looks tempting.

Any opinions on this caliber.

Great cartridge, hard hitting and accurate and the Weatherby Mark V is a strong and safe action. If the deal is really good you would be hard pressed to do better.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It is a great cartridge. One of my friends has the stainless Mark V. He has shot Black bear, deer and Bison with it. He is taking it sheep hunting this year. He is a one gun hunter.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I have a Mark V Synthetic with a slimline brake from Magna-port and it's more pleasant to shoot, recoil-wise, than my 7mm STW (Mark V Accumark). I used it whitetail hunting in Saskatchewan this year and wish I'd had it two years ago moose hunting in Newfoundland. Weatherby ammunition 250gr Nosler Partitions go into a 1" - 1.25" group at 100 yards.

It's going to turn me into a one-gun hunter again.

Well its home and I will put a Leupold 3 X 9 on it tomorrow. Came with steel rings and bases aleady. Look out moose this fall.

Default Please post a pic

when you have the rifle completed.
    For my next rifle, I'd like either a 340 or a 300, I have not made up my mind yet.

Default 340 weatherby

never be afraid of the 340 but make sure your maker knows what he is doing make sure it has enough weight i have go to where i only shoot imr 7828 in mine but is has a 28 inch barrel and shoots around one inch all day recoil can be a problem if the gun is to light especially with 250 and 275 grain bullets i have shot nothing lighter than 250 grain bullet until today went to range and was shooting 215 nos partitions behind 90 grains of 7828 think i have found my new elk load plum fun to shoot and way under 1 inch one measured .625 i fibbed i did have a go around with some 225 and went back to the 250 grain bullets will tell you i hit a bull in the rump at 300 tards found the 275 grain in the brisket was a swift bullet but this load will cross your eyes but really works where it counts

My friend in Colorado said he'd rather shoot his 458 Winchester than the 340 Weatherby. How does it compare to the 338 Ultra Mag in recoil?

I love my .340 Accumark. Elk, moose, bou and sheep all have fallen. I load up or down depending on the game. 4x12 leopold scope

Haven't formed an opinion yet but just bought one LOL!!!

I found a good deal on a Mark V Synthetic with a Burris 3-9 on top of it.

I think instead of putting a limbsaver of decelerator pad on it I will put a B&C Medalist stock with the pad included on it and dress it up a little.

Wasn't necessarily looking at a .340 WM, but for the price and it being in such immaculate condition and a Mark V I couldn't pass it up.

Probably going to look at 210gr. or 225gr. Tipped TSX loads for it. Should handle about anything i'm liable to come across with either.

I have a Weatherby Mark V SS 340, has a muzzlebreak on it. Recoil feels like a 270. I used my rifle to kill a Brown Bear a few years ago, used factory Weatherby ammo 250 gr. Nosler Partitions. Also used the rifle on caribou one fall, it was very impressive. Haven't shot a moose with it yet, but I am sure that it would be very effective. For optics I mounted a Leupold fixed power M8-4X scope on mine. Probably switch it out to a variable in the near future. I also like the Weatherby action, toyed with the idea one time of only buying Weatherby rifles from that day forward, but who can resist a mauser action.

Just for your own curiosity take the bolt out and look at the square notch at the far back of the receiver and check to see if there is a "2" stamped on it. These are weatherby seconds, I never saw anything that affected the function but for a knowledgeable person it should affect the resale value. Weatherby offers these to retailers at a large discount. Most people are not aware of this marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    I have a Weatherby Mark V SS 340, has a muzzlebreak on it. Recoil feels like a 270. I used my rifle to kill a Brown Bear a few years ago, used factory Weatherby ammo 250 gr. Nosler Partitions. Also used the rifle on caribou one fall, it was very impressive. Haven't shot a moose with it yet, but I am sure that it would be very effective. For optics I mounted a Leupold fixed power M8-4X scope on mine. Probably switch it out to a variable in the near future. I also like the Weatherby action, toyed with the idea one time of only buying Weatherby rifles from that day forward, but who can resist a mauser action.
    Well this is my second Weatherby. I bought a Vanguard SS Laminate in .257 Weatherby, I love that gun as it looks great and shoots even better, used it to take a nice 3x3 buck a few weeks back. The .340 was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up and kind of rounds out my battery of weapons for the time being. I also own a Ruger M77, and A Remington Model 700 as well.

Ed M- Thanks for the information and I will check it out, always good to learn something new, but I don't plan on selling it any time soon.

My son has the Weatherby Mark V SS 340 and after I shot it I told him it was a "fire breathing monster". It doesn't have the muzzle break, if did I'm sure it would be more acceptable to an old guy-me! I shoot a 375 Ruger, 375 H&H and a 45/70. All of them I believe, doesn't have the recoil his 340 has.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    My son has the Weatherby Mark V SS 340 and after I shot it I told him it was a "fire breathing monster". It doesn't have the muzzle break, if did I'm sure it would be more acceptable to an old guy-me! I shoot a 375 Ruger, 375 H&H and a 45/70. All of them I believe, doesn't have the recoil his 340 has.
    Thanks for the encouraging words lol!!!

I will either handle the recoil as is, put a premium pad on it, or buy a stock with said on it. Last resort would be the muzzle break as I really don't care for the blast increase they offer.

How does he like the gun?

He really likes the gun, and he's pretty solid so the recoil doesn't bother him.

The muzzlebreak on my 340 is removable and came with a thread protector. When I shot the rifle for the first time without hearing protection I practically went deaf. Ears were ringing for a good 10 minutes or so. If you have a rifle with a muzzlebreak and you decide to remove it and use the thread protector, probably be a good idea to put a drop of locktight on the threads, may save you from buying a replacement.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen all help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Haven't formed an opinion yet but just bought one LOL!!!

I found a good deal on a Mark V Synthetic with a Burris 3-9 on top of it.

I think instead of putting a limbsaver of decelerator pad on it I will put a B&C Medalist stock with the pad included on it and dress it up a little.

Wasn't necessarily looking at a .340 WM, but for the price and it being in such immaculate condition and a Mark V I couldn't pass it up.

Probably going to look at 210gr. or 225gr. Tipped TSX loads for it. Should handle about anything i'm liable to come across with either.
    Hey, congrats on the 340 Weatherby man that is cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Hey, congrats on the 340 Weatherby man that is cool.
    TY beartooth!!!

It really was an excellent buy and I have been pouring over the ballistic charts and decided it is one VERY versatile round with projectiles ranging form the 160 TTSX all the way to the Woodleigh 300 grainers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast