Thread: sitka fishing combo

Default sitka fishing combo

Hi I am planning a fishing trip to Sitka for Halibut Salmon and rock fish.I would also like a shot at some other target fish like steelhead.Sheefish,pacific cod. wolf eel any and all I just like fishing and I will fish day and night if I got water under me.I am wondering if I should look at other spots than Sitka like Homer or Seward or Nome? I have never been to Alaska and I could use some guidance to maximize my trip I am planing a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Hi I am planning a fishing trip to Sitka for Halibut Salmon and rock fish.I would also like a shot at some other target fish like steelhead.Sheefish,pacific cod. wolf eel any and all I just like fishing and I will fish day and night if I got water under me.I am wondering if I should look at other spots than Sitka like Homer or Seward or Nome? I have never been to Alaska and I could use some guidance to maximize my trip I am planing a week.
    Are you going to be renting a boat or charter fishing? Sitka has very good fishing for the charter fishermen as they can go longer ranges.

I haven't heard of anybody consistently taking steelhead in the saltwater in AK.

Sitka has great charter fishing though the early report this year is salmon is slow (got it today).

Never have caught a wolf eel there though. Sitka is good for 2 reasons, first, it's on the outside with the main currents running through it, and 2 it's protected. Don't sound right but you can still fish buts and salmon even on bad days. Depending on where the fish are at it can be great to ok to crappy, but it can be just the same when the oceans flat calm.

I've deckhanded and skippered there and would go if it were me.