Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ak.Mining/Diving?

Default Ak.Mining/Diving?

In process of buying a new boat from Mining and Diving. Have bought one new snowmachine from them last year but first time for me on a new boat. Boat is a center console Jetcraft J-Max.
    Question is how is there follow up service? Doesn't matter I guess as they will be who I go to for any issues I have with this boat, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can expect down the road if I need to take it in for warranty issues or the like.
    Also, would be curious to hear from others who own the J-Max and there oppinions on performance and likes and dislikes but that may be another thread.

i purchased a Jetcraft from AMDS...I spend the $200+ in gas money to drive to the Boat Shop in Fairbanks every time it needs to go in for service/warranty....I recommend the same to everyone I talk to.....
    PM me if you want details why...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs down I second that

*edited* "RUN"
    If you need engine warranty work done, you can take it to any authorized dealer that sells that name brand engine. As for the hull or other issues, well I'd drive to fairbanks and visit the boat shop. I too work with 4 other people that has had some bad issues with said shop.
    PM me if you'd like to here about how "good" the service shop is.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-07-2008 at 20:01. Reason: forum rules

Angry

I take my Honda to Seward for any repair service I need. My experience with AMD was terrible. I went to the owner, still no acceptable solution. The next time I needed something, I went to Stormchasers in Seward, they got on the phone with Honda while I was still there.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Default Hmmm?

This isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I'm looking at closing this deal Sat. Man, with fuel prices ( I just topped off my diesel for $150) I can't really afford to head to Fairbanks even a couple times a year but maybe I should heed the warnings, that or start my own boat shop with good service.

Default I concur

I too have not been overly impressed with AMD's service. They sell quality products but when it comes to service after the initial purchase it is an uphill battle with them.

They ignored me the 2 times I went in planning on buying a new sled. That was enough for me. No service meant no sale. I aparently am not in the minority there are very few people that have good things to say about their service. (IMHO)

I ended up canceling my boat before it was ever completed. They took way longer than they promised, threw every excuse in the book at me. When they more or less told my wife that she didn't know what she was talking about because she is a woman, it was the last straw. PM me for more details.

Default seven

Okay, seven negative responses in 1 hr and most people who frequent this site work regular hours unlike me so it's not like this is peak time for getting feedback. Alright guys, I can take a hint. Will give The Boat Shop a call.
    Thanks for the input!

I don't really like them all that much; although not to the point of not ever going there. They have poor customer service, poor warranty support, and in general, are very slow. But, in their defense, they are really, really, busy. I can see where warranty claims might be low on their list of things to do. Clearly, they are making a ton of money in that place. And if there service was that bad, it wouldn't be that dang busy.

Can't comment on AM&D as all I've bought from them is a combo gps/sonar unit.

It seems sadly all the major boat shops in Anchorage have a reputation for poor service. Actually, there are lots of shops in Anchorage that have earned that reputation. The, we're the only game in town, if you don't like our crappy service, tough.

I will say that Anchorage Yamaha who sells Suzuki o/b's has been great to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
    I can take a hint. Will give The Boat Shop a call.
    !
    you are wise...you won't be sorry......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

They installed the outdrive on my Sea Sport incorrectly and it cost me over $1,200 to get it right. Even though they I complained three different times under warranty they still denied any wrong doing.
    This is a good one, one of the employes who helped close the deal when I purchased the Sea Sport asked me one day how it was. After I told him the story about the outdrive he told me he wouldnt even take his boat to AMDS for work. Whats that tell you?
    I still walk in there on occassion but will NEVER ever buy anything from then that requires maintence of any type.
    *edited*
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-07-2008 at 20:00. Reason: forum rules - negative comments about businesses prohibited
    Tennessee

Guys, negative comments about businesses are clearly prohibited by our forum rules. I understand the need to get feedback on businesses, but this is an issue of legal liability for David, the owner of this site. Simply indicate that you have information to share and use the PM system to do so. Thank you.

Brian I generally agree with these policies especially when they refer to an individual. I can't however imagine AKM&D suing the largest outdoors forum in AK for what some of it's members have voiced on a public forum. I hope the owner reads this, thinks about the $$ we did not spend at his store and goes in and rips into his staff. A couple of good service reports on here and I would even give them another chance!

Smile Here is a positive comment

Odie's Marine in Boniface is totally awesome! Talks with you, has parts available, timely service work, and yes extremely busy! They got my name and motor number in their data base for quick reference for all my parts needs.

Default totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Odie's Marine in Boniface is totally awesome! Talks with you, has parts available, timely service work, and yes extremely busy! They got my name and motor number in their data base for quick reference for all my parts needs.

When I had the bayliner I used him when he was in Mt. View. Very nice guy and listens and gets it done!

Default Input

Brian, didn't mean to start anything when I started this thread. Just wanted some input. Obviously there are some opinions out there regarding AMDS.. I've read like opinions on another boat dealer here in town on this forum so these guys aren't alone in their venting.
    Guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the input and if you have anything else to add negatively just pm me. I would also like to hear positive input as well which is what I actually thought I would recieve when I posted my original inquiry concerning AMDS service.
    Haven't made my final descision on who I am going with but did talk with The Boat Shop and they did offer me a sweet deal. Just have a hard time stomaching the long trip to Fairbanks and back to pick up a boat and for continued service. Spring is here and I'm ready to get on the water.

I had a good experience with AK Mining & Diving. I took my newly pruchased 1991 tunnel jon with a 40/30 Johnson to them for service. I showed up with the boat in early in the morning before they even opened and showed up at the designated time I was told my boat would be ready. It wasn't even touched, and never moved from the spot I dropped it. I was told early the next morning it would be ready, and it was. They performed more work on the outboard than I requested and at almost no charge. I have more money in ash tray of my truck than what they charged me to replace the sleeve. The linkage was adjusted, gas tank was drained, carbs drained, plugs changed, and a list of over work was done to make the outboard run like new. I was a happy customer, but that was my only experience with the service department.

mtnman - Oh, I know you didn't intend for this to become a negative thread. Getting feedback on businesses is an important function of these forums - we just ask that the negative reviews stay in the PM system.

I understand the frustration with this rule, but again it's an issue of liability for David. Even if the lawsuit was completely without merit, it would still cost a substantial amount of money in legal fees to fight such a case. It may sound ridiculous, but recently we dealt with exactly such a threat. Not fun, and not fair to ask David to bear that legal responsibility for the rest of us.

Thanks for the understanding, fellas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast