Thread: Lower unit gear lube

Default Lower unit gear lube

What do you guys use synthetic or "regular" lower gear lubricant?

A great many of the wonderful attributes of synthetic oils are null and void while running in an area far from a combustion cylinder such as a lower unit.

I read in my manual and was told by my mechanic to run exactly what you run in the engine. 10-40 motor oil (305 chevy/280 Volvo outdrive) I was also told they are extremely durable and not much to worry about, keeping the water out and the earth off is the main thing.

Default Gear Lube

The newer units run a Gl-5 synthetic oil which is a non foaming type oil. I just switched to Amsoil because of the price. My older Volvo Outdrives which where 96 dual props required a Gl-4 type oil. The synthetic oils work great I have put over 7000 hours on outdrives using it and never a failure. The newer Mercruisers and Volvo's all use it. Bad part is the cost. I change my outdrive oil every 200 hours and just before winter storage. The main thing to look for is water in the oil and metal pieces. Make sure that your O rings are good or to be on the same side just replace them. Other things to look at is your U joints. I used to change mine every two season which was at the 900 to thousand hour mark. The new DPH drives call for a complete change out of the joint and shaft at 1500 hours.

I'm talking about a small 40hp Yamaha outboard if that makes a difference.

Default Gear Lube

Marine gear lube is designed to protect and reduce the wear are the gears in the lower units. You can go to walmart and purchase marine gear lube and it will say on it what it used for. I know Mercruiser uses two different types 1 for outboards and 1 for stern drives. I purchased some in Valdez at Longs Marine and installed it in my stern drives and it was rated for outboards. I ran it for two hundred hours and never had a problem. When the next change came I finished what I had left and put the stern drive gear lube back in. You can go to the Yamaha dealer and they will sell you their brand. I switched to Amsoil mainly because of cost. Volvo wanted $249 for 5 gallons plus shipping Amsoil in Fairbanks was $150 for 5 gallons shipping included. I normally use 10 gallons a season so I purchased 15 gallons.