Thread: Reds

Default Reds

What's a good time to fish the Russian for Reds? Do you recommend a charter take you somewhere away from the crowds? Are there better places to fish for reds in June? Thanks.

Default Reds

Red fishing at the Russian is generally productive on opening day, June 11 and gets better and the month through the end of the month. Again, the Russian gets to really hopping around mid July through the first week of August.

While there are areas along the Kenai that are only accessible by boat, it is very difficult to avoid the crowds. There may be less people, but often times more because the space is limited; i.e. a gravel bar or cut bank. So, you can hire a guide for sockeye (particularly on Sundays and Mondays where it is not legal to fish OUT of a guide boat, but is legal to be transported BY a guide boat on the Kenai.

2 places that I have seen slow but reasonable success for sockeye on the Kenai in June is the Big Eddy wayside and Swiftwater Park (besides the Russian of course). Both of these usually start producing around the 15th of June.

Good luck

Poke around the AK fish and game website a bit. Here is a decent start.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...HTML/query.cfm

Check out the links for the Russian - early and late runs. Will tell you over the last few years when peak times were. They generally fall pretty close into set windows.

I don't know about a charter to take you away from the crowds on the Russian. It is a pretty small river, shallow, and I don't think boats are allowed anywhere on it. There might be some "walking guides" that will hike up stream with you and put you on good holes, but I am not aware of any. Spend a few weekends there, read old posts here, and you'll get the hang of it all. It is not a difficult river to figure out if you spend any time there.

To get away from the crowds - just walk. Up. Get a map of the river and get on the trails that go up river away from the confluence. I can't remember how far up to the falls it is - 1.5 miles maybe? But honestly, if you go 300 yards upstream from the highest parking lot, you won't be in a crowd. My experience has been that people crowd at the confluence and at the "cottonwood hole," which is not far from the confluence. Anything 1/4 mile from that hole and you can often be alone, or with a few people passing through here and there.

There are charters for the Kenai itself. I haven't taken one, but have always wanted to do a drift boat charter. For that, it might be worth trying to get into, but I am sure others will chime in on that.

Default Keep your eyes open

Just be aware there are lots of bears (brown and black) up and down the Russian when there are fish in the river. One good thing about fishing near people is you feel safer when one of those guys pops out into the river looking for carcasses.

As you walk up and down stream it's a good idea to keep a close eye on both banks. ADF&G has some good publications also about fishing in bear country (http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...ions/bears.cfm).

I've never had any problems with the bears there, but can really add excitement to your day if you're not expecting to see them.

The Russian River is always crowded. Terrible. You'll hate it there.

Default hehehehe...

Brian's just fishing for trout there, don't let him fool you, there bobblehead, the run is just about finished, & all the red salmon are red & near spawned out condition...

Default Shame on you Brian

I see Brian is at his old tricks of photo-shopping out all the people at rivers he doesn't like to fish at so people will flock there, and thus, stay away from his rivers.

Brian - is that first picture just down the path from the highest parking lot (forgot the name - rainbow?)? I think I recognize that rock out in front of you, but it might be a different one (yes, I'm being totally serious here). One rock that I seem to always catch a fish at looks like that, but it may be a tad bit further out into the river. Seems like every time I go there, I can almost always find a fish hiding by that rock and bring 'em in.

As to the original poster - what Brian has going there does not take much walking at all to obtain. He may be up not far from the falls, I'm not entirely sure. But he could certainly be within 1/4-1/2 mile of the confluence as well where there are 300 people lined up shoulder to shoulder. That is just the Russian - be willing to take about 100 steps to your left and you can be all alone.

Nope, that's not the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope, that's not the spot.
    Hahahahaha. Being secretive are we? Sure wasn't "fishin'" for secret spots. Especially on the Russian, there always seems to be fish to catch.

Best advice - walk the river at least once each summer, top to bottom.

Ah, it's no secret - it just take a bit more effort than most are willing to put out on that river. Last year my wife and I simplified the process, though. I got a BOB trailer for my bike, so now we ride up to the falls instead of hiking upstream along the river. A quick jaunt downstream 600 yards and we're ready to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Ah, it's no secret - it just take a bit more effort than most are willing to put out on that river. Last year my wife and I simplified the process, though. I got a BOB trailer for my bike, so now we ride up to the falls instead of hiking upstream along the river. A quick jaunt downstream 600 yards and we're ready to fish.
    I had not seen a BOB trailer before. I did a quick google on them. How wide are those things? I wonder if I could get a Chariot trailer up the trail with the kids in tow? That would be great for getting up there. Last year my daughter sort of felt like she outgrew her kelty pack a little, but didn't want to walk all the way up either. Hadn't thought of towing the Chariot up there.

That trailer looks like it would be decent for doing the bike in portion that some people do for the Kenai mt. caribou hunt (if you happen to draw it ). Sturdy.

I'm not sure how wide it is - maybe 24"? It's narrow enough to ride single track trails, though that's not too much of an issue for riding up to the Russian falls. I think your Chariot would work fine. I've seen folks with pretty burly homemade trailers making that ride, so something designed for it would work well also. The trail is mostly smooth, though your daughter would get a few bumps here and there.

I haven't hunted with the trailer yet, but I have plans to. I'd really like to use it for non-motorized areas so that I have an advantage over walk-in hunters, but most trails in such areas aren't really conducive to biking.

I've got the double chariot and have been hauling it with either kids or gear up to the falls behind the bike for a couple years now. The trail is plenty wide enough.

Quote Originally Posted by akbrett View Post
    I've got the double chariot and have been hauling it with either kids or gear up to the falls behind the bike for a couple years now. The trail is plenty wide enough.
    Thanks for the info. That was actually my next question - could the double Chariot get up there? I think that would be a great bike ride up.