Thread: Trailer Disc Brake Reviews?

Question Trailer Disc Brake Reviews?

Just curious what experience you have had with various trailer disc brakes for those used to towing a heavy boat. I tow a Seasport Explorer on a King trailer with first generation Tie Down disc brakes. I've found the rotors and discs to be a major pain. Pads wear out quickly and rotors warp. Apparently Tie Down didn't think much of their first generation brakes either as their newer brakes are more equivalent to a mid-size car as far as pad and rotor size. Curious if others have switched to newer Tie Down or have purchased Kodiak brakes which seem to get good reviews. Kodiaks cost considerably more so I'm looking for cheap advice and other's experience before I take the plunge.

I have run the Tie-Downs for 5 years. Wore out the first ones in 2 years. I replaced the calibers and pads then, and the newer ones are still in very good shape. Seems to be better than the earlier ones

Talking Dexter Brakes

I have the dexter axles and disk brakes. Have not had any problems and my boat is apx 12000 lbs. I have towed it many miles. I also have the Dexter electric over hydraulic control and it is the only way to go, works very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have the dexter axles and disk brakes. Have not had any problems and my boat is apx 12000 lbs. I have towed it many miles. I also have the Dexter electric over hydraulic control and it is the only way to go, works very smooth.
    Me Too.....I have the same setup on my NR double axle setup and my Bayliner with triple axle except that I am running the Carlise electric over hydraulic unit.

Default Differance?

Differance between hydralic and Electric and why do you have electric. Just bought my 30ft Sea Ray 300DB today and I am having a trailer made for it. Yep I will post pictures when I get her. She is going to keep me busy the next couple of years.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

It's electric over hydraulic....you basically have an electric pump pressure your brakes versus the old surge system. The pump runs thru an electruc brake controller that varies the voltage. The faster the pump spins the faster and harder your brakes are actuated. The electric/hydraulic also is a no hassle backup, you can use the trailers brakes on the launch ramps, you can have more trailer input for those long grades, you can use the trailer brakes to stop sway, etc etc.

There reason to stay with the hydraulic brakes is they last a little longer then electric setups being dumped in water.

If building a trailer I would go this way over surge and the cost is about an even split.....I converted mine the day I bought it.